× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX6120 (FW 1.0.0.46) loses connection with router all the time

ruibm
Tutor

EX6120 (FW 1.0.0.46) loses connection with router all the time

I recently acquired a EX6120 to extend 2.4+5GHz wifi networks at home. I have also updated it to the latest firmware version 1.0.0.46.

The problem I'm constantly facing is that the extender loses connectivity to the main router.

I've tried placing right next to the router (really strong signal) and also on a different floor (weaker signal). No matter what, within the next 3 or 4 hours the NETGEAR EX6120 seems to lose the connectivity to the main router and it will take about 10min+ to self-recover.

This seems to happen more frequently if there are more devices connected to it.

I'm now debatting whether I should just downgrade the firmware version and see if that helps.

For comparison, I also have an older TP-Link extender model that I'm replacing and that one works flawlessly 24/7 so it's def nothing to do with the main wifi-router.

At times when the NETGEAR is down, I just move my iphone closer to the wifi-router and it connects just fine.

Any recommendations to fix this? Considering returning the unit over the next few days if I find no workaround.

Thanks in advance.

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
ruibm
Tutor

Just to get closure on this topic here's the final state of things.

My 30 day return window was about to expire so I decided to return the unit. In the end I was not able to get the unit working properly.

Thank you very much to Netgear support for privately offering to debug and fix this issue.  

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ruibm, 

1. What devices are you testing the connection to notice its dropping every 3/4 hours? 

2. Have you tried other devices? 

3. When the extender loses connection can you check the LED lights on extender and provide them to us

~Christian 

Message 2 of 7
ruibm
Tutor

1. Here are a few of the models connecting:

- macbook pro 2018

- macbook pro 2017

- HP windows laptop

- iphone8

- iphoneXS

- android pixel

- ipad

- ipad mini

2. Hum, not outside the list above. If you mean "other extender devices", then I have tried with a TP-Link Extender and it runs solid for a whole week at least non-stop.

3.The LED for the connection to the base wifi router is off which according to the NETGEAR manual means it lost connectivity to the base station. It self heals after 10min or more. Light comes back on, connection is restored. During that whole period though, all devices connecting to NETGEAR extender basically get no internet connect (or proper DHCP assigned ip address).

Message 3 of 7
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ruibm, 

Thanks for the information. I have sent you a message. Please respond at your earliest convenience. 

~Christian 

Message 4 of 7
ruibm
Tutor

Just to get closure on this topic here's the final state of things.

My 30 day return window was about to expire so I decided to return the unit. In the end I was not able to get the unit working properly.

Thank you very much to Netgear support for privately offering to debug and fix this issue.  

Message 5 of 7
Jsthvnfun2
Initiate

So, was there any solution to this besides giving up?  I have the same issue and am connecting with smart tv, galaxy phones, tablets, etc.  It runs for a while then loses connectivity in 5 or 2.4 ghz and have the same version of firmware (most current).

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 6 of 7
ruibm
Tutor

I was not able to find a solution and was forced to return my unit. Got a TP-Link unit instead and so far have not had any trouble.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7