× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX6400 range extender will not connect to my router

schurley
Aspirant

EX6400 range extender will not connect to my router

Everything was setup and working flawlessly for a year. Now all of the sudden the extender wasnt working. I reset to factory settings and went through the smart setup over a dozen times and set everything up but it keeps coming up with "extender didnt connect to router"......

Model: EX6400|AC1900 WiFi Mesh Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: EX6400 range extender will not connect to my router

What router are you connecting back to? Firmware on it?

What firmware is on the extender?

Sometimes new wifi signals in the area cause issues. You can try changing wifi channels, extender location to help reduce this interference.Have you tried these?

here's the support for the ex6400 with firmware, manual, and troubleshooting. Keep in mind there's a drop down for different version. Make sure you select the correct one.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX6400.aspx

Message 2 of 7
schurley
Aspirant

It’s an orbi im connecting to. Can’t up Day firmware cause it won’t get an internet connection
Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

1. you can update firmware manually. Just download the firmware on a computer and use this to manually update while connected to the extender.

2. What firmware are you currently on?

2.Orbi doesn't really play nice with extenders. It dynamically switches wireless bands or from router-satellite based on needs/strength. Extenders work poorly when they're added to orbi (works marginally OK with hardwired AP mode). 

Message 4 of 7
schurley
Aspirant

Thanks for the info I’ll get ve it a try
Message 5 of 7
javachik
Aspirant

I am having this same VERY frustrating issue. I have the Orbi router as well as a satellite for my home office. And for the last year, have had a Netgear EX6400 externder working perfectly in my master bedroom so that my outdoor camera has a solid connection. Now I can't get the externer to connect to the Orbi, and I have tried everything from hardwired on my computer, to re-setting the extender several times, going through all of the steps, connecting to its wifi, and every single time I get the dreaded "cannot connect to your router" error. I am beyond frustrated as it seems every year I drop a grand or more just trying to keep my house networked because some item stops working with all of the other items. And of course i leave tomorrow for a long vacation, and won't be able to access my security camera due to lack of wifi in that part of the house now.

Model: EX6400v2|AC1900 WiFi Mesh Extender Essentials Edition
Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

@javachik wrote:

I am having this same VERY frustrating issue. I have the Orbi router as well as a satellite for my home office. And for the last year, have had a Netgear EX6400 externder working perfectly in my master bedroom so that my outdoor camera has a solid connection. Now I can't get the externer to connect to the Orbi, and I have tried everything from hardwired on my computer, to re-setting the extender several times, going through all of the steps, connecting to its wifi, and every single time I get the dreaded "cannot connect to your router" error. I am beyond frustrated as it seems every year I drop a grand or more just trying to keep my house networked because some item stops working with all of the other items. And of course i leave tomorrow for a long vacation, and won't be able to access my security camera due to lack of wifi in that part of the house now.

Please start your own thread as your issues might be different and require different troubleshooting. 

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7