× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7000 Mesh Network Question

Antoniopap
Aspirant

EX7000 Mesh Network Question

My question is how can I turn my EX7000 into a mesh network. At first this was not possible, but in the latest driver update that came out 5 days ago, 802.11k smart-switching and the mesh network feature were added. I updated the extender and made sure that it had the latest update, but afterwards, I could not find a feature for the mesh network. How can I utilize this new feature for my extender? (Also, I am using my node as an access point, so when I figure out how to enable the mesh network, will it work while being an access point, as in connected by ethernet? I am mostly using this so the SSID is the same, and my non techsavy people living in my house can easily switch access points without knowing) Thanks!

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: EX7000 Mesh Network Question

If you've set the SSID to match your router, then I think you've already done all that is needed.

Are you having issues with speeds or with roaming?

Message 2 of 4
Antoniopap
Aspirant

Well using the one SSID method works on all routers. One SSID and a mesh network are comlpetely different things, and according to Netgear, mesh network capabilities were added to my extender/access point. I would like to know how to use that feature, I have no other questions/programs, just that.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Antoniopap wrote:

and according to Netgear, mesh network capabilities were added to my extender/access point. I would like to know how to use that feature, I have no other questions/programs, just that.

Well, there's nothing to configure. 

When Netgear uses the term "mesh extender" they mean that the  802.11k is enabled and that the extender can daisy-chain if that is needed to reach the router.  The triband mesh extenders also automatically dedicate a 5G radio for backhaul, but the EX7000 is dual-band.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7