× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7300 On Light working only

Tomcatpooh24
Aspirant

EX7300 On Light working only

I am running Windows 10 Pro ver 20H2.  My router is the Nighthawk AX12 (RAX120).  I am using the Netgear extender EX7300.  I attempted to update the extender with the latest firmware after receiving an email notification from Netgear.  The firmware did not work.  As a matter of fact, the extender’s router link, client link, and WPS turned off.   I received the message, “You are not connected to your extender's Wi-Fi network on the internet.  In Windows I checked my Network status and it displays only an Ethernet Private network.  Under the heading of “change adapter options, it only list the Ethernet Network Realtek PCIe GbE Family controller.   When I log into my Router online at routerlogin.net, I can see the extender listed under Access Control as a device allowed but not currently connected to the network.  This section only gives MAC addresses.   The only good thing is the “On” light still works.   Whenever I unplug the extender and plug it back into the wall outlet, I can turn the extender off.  When I turn the extender on, all the lights come on for just a second.  The on light changes from amber to green.  The remaining three lights, Router link, Client link and WPS lights remained off.

I have done about three factory resets, plug into the wall, unplug from the wall several times.   I have used an Ethernet cable to access the extender.  The results of that action is that it turns on the WPS. After I unplug the Ethernet cable from the extender and turn on the EX7300, still no router link, client link, and the WPS blinks for about a minute and it turns off. 

Since I have given more than enough money to Netgear over the years for their routers, I am not about to pay for premium service.  I am hoping that in the “Season of Giving” than someone out there can give some free advice on how I can turn my extender back on to start working again.  I hope that I have given all the information that is needed.  Thanks in advance.

Model: EX7300|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: EX7300 On Light working only

you can try recoving it via tftp. 

are you on windows? if so, follow this guide

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

just make sure you enable tftp 

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10

and here's a video walk through. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DLrLQrpaw

and if that doesn't work, you can try using nmrpflash

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 2 of 11
Tomcatpooh24
Aspirant

I plug an ethernet cable from my desktop to my extender EX7300 and I followed the guideline for the tftp firmware upload twice with no success.  The video shows the guy downloading tftp2.exe.  I am not sure where he got that from.  I followed the guidelines to activate windows 10 tftp before trying to flash the extender.  It still did not work.  The second suggestion is a few levels over my head.

nmrpflash.  I wasn't sure which of the nmrpflash I should use or how to use it.  for example: nmrpflash.dev, nmrpflash.manifest, and nmrpflash.rc..   If possible would you explain a little simpler. Thanks

Model: EX7300|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

follow the netgear guide. The video is just the basics of how to do it. 

you can also try nmrpflash

Message 4 of 11
Tomcatpooh24
Aspirant

The Netgear guide was not helpful.  Are there any other suggestions, that my help me solve this problem.

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

Where is it failing in the process when using tftp/nmrpflash?

Message 6 of 11
Tomcatpooh24
Aspirant

It is failing at the start of the process.  The Router Link LED and the Client Link LED never come on anymore after I attempted to update the Firmware, EX7300V1-EX6400V1-V1.0.2.152.img on Dec 31st.  Only the "ON" light turns on now.  I have tried connecting the Extender to my PC using an Ethernet cable but it will only turn on the WPS.  Once I disconnect the cable from my PC the WPS turns off.

I purchased this Extender new, June 26, 2020.  The Extender is currently taking up space on a wall outlet.

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

If its new as of june 2020, then you should still be within your warranty period. you can start the rma process. 

Click on "mynetgear" on the top. Register an account and the device. From there you can start the process. 

Message 8 of 11
Tomcatpooh24
Aspirant

I registered the Ex7300 June 26, 2020 in my Netgear profile.  All standard Warranties including hardware, phone support, email support, chat support, power supply and accessories have expired.  I will not pay for an additional warranty contract for this Extender.

Message 9 of 11
plemans
Guru

if its refurbished/renewed/used, then you'll have a shorter warranty period. If it was new, it might be worth investigating why the warranty is expired. 

Message 10 of 11
Tomcatpooh24
Aspirant

Thanks, I will contact Netgear about the warranty expiration.

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7