× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7300 and "positive" MAC address filtering

arnostko
Aspirant

EX7300 and "positive" MAC address filtering

Hi all,

I just bought and set up the EX7300 and was shocked to find out that it can't filter MAC addresses based on a list of allowed devices. This is the case on my router (WNDR3700) and also was on the previous AP (from D-Link). I found the possibility to "deny" a device, but that would mean, that it is already connected?! Am I missing something, or is this extra security layer gone? Or do the newer routers filter also wired devices by MAC addresses (which the WNDR3700 doesn't - I checked)?

Model: EX7300|AC2200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: EX7300 and "positive" MAC address filtering

Hello arnostko - You may refer to the to the article link below for MAC filtering on the extender

https://kb.netgear.com/26262/How-to-setup-devices-on-EX7000-when-MAC-address-filter-is-enabled-on-th...

~Christian

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello arnostko - You may refer to the to the article link below for MAC filtering on the extender

https://kb.netgear.com/26262/How-to-setup-devices-on-EX7000-when-MAC-address-filter-is-enabled-on-th...

~Christian

Message 2 of 3
arnostko
Aspirant

Thanks Christian,

so if I understood this correctly, the router should do the MAC address filtering centrally. Which makes sense: you only need one list of allowed devices. Unfortunately my old router (WNDR3700) does not filter over LAN, only via wireless. So an upgrade of the router is needed.

I would still expect for older routers like mine to be able to configure the AP manually 😞

Model: EX7300|AC2200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7