× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7700 5GHz Channel Selection

Droider
Guide

EX7700 5GHz Channel Selection

I live in a multi-unit apartment building, and I'm using an EX7700 extender with an R7800 router.  I've split the channels, and the router is broadcasting the 5 GHz band on channel 153.  I would like to use this same channel for the EX7700 (less interference with the many other WiFi APs in the building).

Unfortunately, while the EX7700 receives the channel 153 signal, it only allows channels 36, 40, 44, 48 together with DFC channels 52, 56, 60, 64 for the rebroadcast (I'm currently using channel 60).  The region is set to "United States."

I don't understand why I can't see / configure the EX7700 for channels 100-144 (DFS), as well as 149, 153, 157, 161, 165.  I assume that I am somehow missing a configuration setting. 

The EX7700 firmware is V1.0.0.226

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: EX7700 5GHz Channel Selection

You're not missing anything, you're misunderstanding something. 

The benefit to the triband extenders is that they have a dedicated backhaul between router----extender. This backhaul prevents them from taking the 50% speed reduction that standard single/dual band extenders take. This happens because the single/dual band extenders have to use the same chip to go router---extender and then extender---devices. And they can't do both at once. So they take a 50% speed reduction from what they receive. The tri-bands avoid this speed reduction by having the one 5ghz channel dedicated just for router---extender.  This gives them much higher speeds and lower latency. 

So because you have the R7800 set on a specific 5ghz channel, the EX7700 needs to use that same one for the backhaul connection. Then you can set the front haul channels. But they can't be set with the same one the R7800 is using or it causes interference as devices on the same channels can't broadcast at the same time. 

Message 2 of 4
Droider
Guide

Very helpful.  Thank you.

So I understand why I can't use channel 153 for a front-haul channel, but why aren't any of the other upper-register 5GHz channels available for the fronthaul?

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

because its a hardware difference. The radios either work for the upper 5ghz channels or the lower ones because of channel overlap. 

So if you're using the upper channels for the backhaul, you have to use the lower for the fronthaul. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series