× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7700 Connection Drop and rebooting

x4253
Tutor

EX7700 Connection Drop and rebooting

So.. I have been using the EX7700 for a while now. 

My Setup: 

• Xiaomi AX3600 as main AP (ground floor)
  • 2x EX7700 as extenders (one in the basement and one in the 1st floor)

The signal from the AX3600 to the extenders is still pretty good (getting 400mbps in speed tests with both).

However, a month ago both of the EX7700 started to react weird: 

• Frequent packet loss, leading to horrible behaviour esp. in video calls (I constantly clip out and people have a very hard time to understand me)
  • Random reboots of the extenders. The performance gets gradually worse, and they ultimately reboot (all LEDs flashing). Takes about two minutes, and it starts to really p*ss me off since it usually happens when being in video calls. 
  • After the random reboot, it works fine again. Until the packet loss starts again. 

The issues appear reandomly and are unpredictable, which makes it very frustrating to work with

Anybody obseved this and knows a fix? 

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: EX7700 Connection Drop and rebooting

try downgrading to the 1.0.0.206 firmware, factory reset and reinstall them. disable auto updates. 

I've seen a few on here with issues on the .210 firmware. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX7700.aspx

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Which version of the firmware are you on? 

do they stay stable if only 1 of them is running?

Are they running in mesh mode? 

reason I ask is in mesh mode, they connect back to the primary router's ssid. If the routers ssid drops/fluctuates, they can end up connecting to each other and not back to the router. It causes instabilities and issues. Its why I usually recommend a full mesh system like orbi if people are needing more than 1 extender.

If its stable running with only 1 unit, it could be that. Its an easy fix, you simply disable mesh on 1 device and run it with its own ssid so they don't end up connecting to each other 

Message 2 of 5
x4253
Tutor

Thanks for the Answer. 

Firmware is 1.0.0.210

Since last week I only run one of them as repeater, same issue as when I run 2 of them, or when i run 1 of them connected via Cat6 and run one as repeater. 

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

try downgrading to the 1.0.0.206 firmware, factory reset and reinstall them. disable auto updates. 

I've seen a few on here with issues on the .210 firmware. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX7700.aspx

Message 4 of 5
x4253
Tutor

Will try, thanks!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation