× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ex8000 flashing red power light unable to reset

RJG202
Guide

Ex8000 flashing red power light unable to reset

My 90 day support ended yesterday (how convenient),  today I started having issues with connections to the extender.  I reset power and now the power light flashes red and I am unable to hard reset.  I tried power cycling while holding reset,  holding reset for 30 seconds, nothing.

I tried going directly in with ethernet but it is not seeing it.  When i do power on the extender it is green for like 15 seconds.

This is what I am seeing on my router logs which is why I tried resetting,  I had similar problem and netgear told me extender needed to be 3 feet from router at all times,  which I think defeats the purpose of an extender.

Is there a way I can force into the extender via ethernet?  Or is this thing bricked?  Best Buy won't exchange it either.

this is from router log

[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address 0c:47

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 3 of 7
dornamae
Initiate

Re: How to Extend WiFi Coverage in Your Home

Do I need a password 2 connect my router
Message 1 of 7
RJG202
Guide

Re: What is Nighthawk Mesh and How Can I Extend My Home's WiFi Coverage?

I have a R7800 running smart connect.  I had some weak spots in my home so I picked up a EX8000 Extender.  I got it configured using WPS to the router.  But I am facing a few issues.

In the extender setup screen sometimes the 5ghz is 866 mbps between router and extender and the 5ghz  out of the extender is 1733 mbps.  Now it is flipped whereas the 5ghz from router to extender is 1100mbps?  Is that different than the backhaul channel?  

How can I tell if the third band is getting best throughput?  The max throughput LED is white most of time,  sometimes it goes out.

The next issue is in the status screen under the smart setup button,  the connection to the existing 5GHZ network disconnects randomly?  I have good signal strength,  I just changed the channel to 124 and it seems better.

Here is the bigger issue, this may be normal,  I don't know.  But my devices don't seem to want to connect to the extender,  the extender is maybe 50 feet from the router at an opposite end of the house.  If I am sitting next to the extender I still don't connect,  which I see as strange.  It picks up the weaker signal from the router.  I was expecting this to supplement the areas with weak signals in a mesh sort of way.

I have updated the firmware on the extender to 1.0.1.186 and the router to 1.0.2.60.  I do have QOS enabled on router.

Model: DVG1000|Wireless 11n ADSL+2 Voice Router,EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 2 of 7
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello RJG202 - Please send me a PM with your contact information and I can see if support can reach out to you. 

~Christian 

Message 4 of 7
RJG202
Guide

Christian,

Thank You for responding,  I just want to update.  on 2/18 I went to Netgear site and opened a defective unit return.  I got a case number and called Netgear,  amazingly they gave me phone support for the defective unit and issued a RMA.  They gave 3 options,  1) send unit in and they will ship back when received,  2) pay a fee of small fee and they would ship unit with return label, 3) pay a bigger fee and they would ship unit next day with return label.

I opted for option 2,  They shipped my unit out end of day on Tuesday and it was scheduled for Thursday delivery,  it got delayed by FedEx til Friday due to weather.  

I was really impressed with the turnaround time,  and they sent me a new unit which has an older Serial Number.

The new unit works good,  here are a few differences I noticed.

When syncing the signal light changes from red or amber to white, the old one did not.  It was alway white,  I did not even know there were colors on the extender til the new one arrived.

This is the big difference.  I noticed on my main router connected devices now,  I only see one connection from the extender on the 5ghz band connected.  Before I was seeing 192.168.1.250 connected at 2.4ghz and 5 ghz.  As mentioned I am only seeing the 1 connection now.  If I go into the UI for the extender it is showing all green,  so maybe the smart connect from the router to the extender is working properly?  I really think the original had issues,  it would lose settings on occasion or drop one of the backhaul channels.

I am good now,  provided I should only see one connection from the extender to the router since I am using Smart connect.

Thanks

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 5 of 7
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi RJG202,

Glad to hear! We really appreciate the update on the status of your issue as it may help others who are experiencing the same issue. 

Have a great day!

Christian 

Message 6 of 7
liamhellen55
Aspirant

You can retry the Factory Reset: Often, holding the reset button for a long period of time (even 30 seconds) will trigger a hard reset. However, make sure you follow the product's specific instructions.

play wordle to relax. Thanks

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7