× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Extender keeps dropping connections

CoxMartin
Tutor

Extender keeps dropping connections

Started to get issues where the device (set as an extender) is being not able to maintain a connection to my Mac.  The Mac can connect to the  main router, so the issue does not appear to be there. Currently, the best I am able to achieve is a log in to the extender but this is then dropped before I can do much more that navigate to the next page of the device config.

Latest firmware is in place but currently unless I have a device that is useless for connections of more that a few seconds. OK, useless period ;-).

Any guidance appreciated.

Model: EX7300|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 Wall-plug Range Extender
Message 1 of 9
netwrks
Master

It supports Access Point mode. Save yourself thegrief and configure it as an AP..

Message 2 of 9
CoxMartin
Tutor

That kind of defeats the objective. The cheaper AP only option has been tried previously, but due to a none standard mains power configuration  (two totally isolated circuits) does not work.  So the extender is a must, and the functionality claimed by the device.

Looks like this device will be joining the dedicated AP ones in the landfill then 😞

Message 3 of 9
netwrks
Master

IMHO extenders are a waste of time, even on expensive devices. Too many variables for wireless and then, intorducing extenders. Ethernet is the way to go.

Message 4 of 9
CoxMartin
Tutor

Starting to agree, it is just a shame that Netgear market this as having extender capabilities! They should have added "if you are lucky, and the wind is in the right direction".

Totally with you on the ethernet, but if you saw the task that is going to be for me (up three floors, 50mtrs across loft space and down one floor ) you would know why I opted for the extender LOL.

Message 5 of 9
kessency
Aspirant

I have the same problem with this range extender.  It totally defeats the purpose of a range extender if I have to run ethernet cable, which I cannot in a house that is almost 30 years old.  I am still in the 90 day period but cannot return to Best Buy as it have to return within 30 days.  This is nuts.  

Model: EX7300|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 Wall-plug Range Extender
Message 6 of 9
CoxMartin
Tutor

They aren't exactly customer facing are they. It seems that once you have been parted with your money they don't give a damn, I suspect they don't can many returning customer. I know I won't be.

Message 7 of 9
FrustratedEX610
Aspirant

I have same issue with EX6100/ AC750.

VERY frustrating. It only happens with ios and Amazon Firestick, which is Android based.
Message 8 of 9
CoxMartin
Tutor

At least I don't feel alone in this. My issue was actually trying to connect to a netgear wifi dongle lol. You would have thought Netgear would connect to Netgear!

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7