× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extender not showing on network list

Designed4Ewe
Aspirant

Extender not showing on network list

I plugged in my WN2000RPTv2 and it shows as green. I pressed the WPS button and went to my router, but it doesn't have a WPS button. (I have a Netgear RangeMax WNR834B routher and a Telephony modem). I went on to option 1 but the _EXT name does not show up in my list of available wireless networks.

Right now the extender is located in the same room as the modem and router so I can get it working. The status symbol is green. The link rate is green and the WPS button is solid green.

I can't find anything that tells me what to do if the _EXT names does not appear.

Can anyone help me? Thanks!
Message 1 of 11
ChristianS
Tutor

Re: Extender not showing on network list

Have You tried resetting Your Range Extender?

ChristianS
Message 2 of 11
Designed4Ewe
Aspirant

Tried that. Same thing. I can see my neighbor's _EXT but not my own. WPS button still showing solid green. Status symbol is green. Link rate is green. I've turned unplugged it and moved it closer to the router until I figure it out. Same thing.
Message 3 of 11
covillen1
Apprentice

Hey Designed4Ewe,

What firmware are you running on both the router and the extender?
Message 4 of 11
Jimbo888
Tutor

Yes I have reset extender ect just comes back the same as it was . The funny thing is the connections my Router # shows , the 2Gext , and 5Gext shows up say on my laptop , cell phone , but do not show up on my PC . Only my router and G2ext show up on PC to connect to internet. the 5Gext on all my wifi devices shows all 3 but the 5Gext is open to anyone and is not secure.

I also pick up my next door nieghbours router on my PC.

Message 5 of 11
Jimbo888
Tutor

Not sure what you mean by firmware????

Message 6 of 11
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Jimbo888,

Can you please clarify what issue you are experiencing?

You are able to see the router, the extender's 2ghz, the extender's 5ghz, on all your devices. On your PC,  you can't see the 5ghz. Is that correct?

Is your PC capable of picking up 5ghz networks? or has it ever been capable of connecting to a 5ghz network?

If you are using the WN2000RPTv2, you can check your firmware by following page 24 of 33:
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/WN2000RPT_UM_05MAR2012.pdf

The most recent firmware version is also listed here:
http://support.netgear.com/product/WN2000RPTv2

Firmware is software that is loaded onto the hardware components of your NETGEAR router.

More on firmware: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23442/~/installing-the-latest-firmware-on-a-netgear-ro...

Message 7 of 11
Jimbo888
Tutor

Yes it did show at one time on my PC at one time  . 5Gext also does not show up on my network connections on Netgear Genie either, but does show up on mobile devices and it does work. 

Message 8 of 11
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Jimbo888,

Which router model are you using with the extender?

Please check if the router is Broadcasting its SSID.

Please also try to configure the 5ghz to different channels and modes.

Here is an example of a NETGEAR router settings page

Capture.PNG

Message 9 of 11
Jimbo888
Tutor

When I open netgear genie My wireless connections does not list 5Gext . So I cannot config. as your example shows . It only lists my Router , and 2Gext. I must say again everything works with my extender 6100, On any portable device it lists all 3 , my router SSID # , 2Gext , and 5Gext . They all work the only problem is the 5Ext is open and not secure. My PC does not list 5Ext as a connection option, and netgear genie does not list the 5Ext. Only my SSID # and 2 Gext.All I am trying to do is secure ther 5Gext.

Message 10 of 11
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, please confirm which router model you are using.

Can you also confirm which NETGEAR genie you are using? Is it the web browser version? (routerlogin.net) or is it the Genie app that you can download here.

You can also post a screenshot of what you are seeing in your settings.

Thanks

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7