× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extending 2G and 5G signals

dorr
Tutor

Extending 2G and 5G signals

Hello. Is there some way on NetGear's product page to filter extenders that include 5g? I currently have the N300, which only does 2.4 GHz, and I know that this model does not support 5g. I wish to purchase a new extender for a medium size home that includes 5G.

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Extending 2G and 5G signals

With the size of your house a decent gigabit wireless AC router should cover it. This is contingent on a lot of factors.  HVAC, foil backed insulation, brick/concrete do a great job of blocking wifi signals so you have to take that into account a bit. Plus you'll see a much better processor in them when you jump from a n300 router to a gigabit wireless ac router. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

N300 isn't a model number but most of Netgears routers that are n300 are either older devices or very basic models without much range. 

also, extenders need a decent signal/speed to extend. You can buy a super expensive extender but its only going to be as good as the router you're connecting back to.  

I'd look at updating/upgrading your router and seeing how you do first.  You say medium sized home but medium means something different to each person. What actual size are you trying to cover?

Message 2 of 6
dorr
Tutor

Thanks for the quick reply. My home is roughly 1200 sq ft, raised bungalow.

Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

I would look at investing that $ you were going to use for an extender and buy a dual band router. You'll notice a speed improvement just by getting some devices off your current 2.4ghz and having the higher bandwidth the 5ghz offers. Plus you'll avoid the con's of an extender (lower throughput, higher latency, more wifi interference, etc). 

Just my 2 cents. 

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

With the size of your house a decent gigabit wireless AC router should cover it. This is contingent on a lot of factors.  HVAC, foil backed insulation, brick/concrete do a great job of blocking wifi signals so you have to take that into account a bit. Plus you'll see a much better processor in them when you jump from a n300 router to a gigabit wireless ac router. 

Message 5 of 6
dorr
Tutor

Thank you sincerely for the great feedback. You've helped convince me to go with more powerful dual band router.

All the best!

Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7