× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware updated EX8000 keeps dropping Internet

CygnusHyoga
Guide

Thanks I will try it!
Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 51 of 135
flyturbo
Apprentice

@burneyfalls wrote:

As a follow-on to my comments earlier, my EX-8000 extender has maintained solid performance for about 4 days now.  I suspect the dropped internet has been associated with a dropped backhaul connection (between the router and the extender).  I have not had dropped connections between the extender and extender clients.  When the backhaul drops I lose internet, but not connection.  The backhaul drops and the extender-to-client connection is still good but has no internet.

Like I said in my previous comments, the backhaul wifi channel is determined by the router.  My router is a dual-band AC1900 router.  I have set the router wifi radios on fixed channels that have minimal useage.  I used the wifi analyzer app tool to see that.  The channels I chose were CH 6 for 2.4Ghz and CH 161 for 5Ghz.

You should be aware that if the router is set in AUTO for wifi channel selection and the router changes channel on its own for whatever reason, you'll probably see a 14 minute internet dropout for the 5Ghz backhaul connection between the router and the extender.  The client connection to the extender will stay up so you're seeing connection but no internet.  Similar things happen for the 2.4Ghz channel change, but the backhaul outtage is much shorter during the time the extender is trying to figure out what channel the router changed to.

The 14 minute 5Ghz backhaul "outtage" while the extender matches up to a change in the router's 5Ghz wifi channel is way too long.  NetGear should look into this.

As I said earlier, go into your router and change the 5Ghz wifi channel and watch what happens to your extender and for how long.  When the 5Ghz backhaul is interrupted, the 2nd LED light on extender (indicates MAX Throughput capability via 5Ghz backhaul) will go out. 

One last thing, a wifi router changes its 2.4Ghz wifi channel often if the the 2.4Ghz channel selection is in AUTO and it detects interference.  As I write this I just checked what happens when I force a router 2.4Ghz channel change.  You'd think it would only affect the 2.4Ghz backhaul to the extender, but the 5Ghz backhaul should stay up, right?

Wrong!  When I manually changed the router's 2.4Ghz wifi channel, the 5Ghz extender-router backhaul drops out for 14 minutes!

Again, put your router's wifi radios on fixed channels if you have the EX8000 connected to it.

@burneyfalls, I been testing your setup and it doesn't work. What firmware you on? I have the latest and its worse then the last 4 firmwares. I used to have at least one device connect at all times when all the others couldn't. I will revert back one version and try it out again.

Message 52 of 135

I am using the .186 FW, which is currently the latest.

I have no problem connecting to the extender and my family has numerous smartphones, rokus, laptops, etc. that connect to it via wifi, and I have a couple clients hardwired via ETH RJ-45 connection.

I have the extender configured in SMARTConnect mode and have tested this for switching among router and extender wifi networks depending on client location.  Roaming around the property results in seamless wifi connection switching.

I am on day 6 of solid performance since putting the router wifi on channels 6 &161.

Message 53 of 135
flyturbo
Apprentice

What make and model is your router?

Message 54 of 135
BaDCrC
Tutor

So as advised in this forum, I fixed the channels for my router and extender both for the two 5ghz channels and 2.4 Ghz one. I also fixed the IP of the extender instead of leaving DHCP doing this. And it's been 2 weeks without connexion dropouts.

Message 55 of 135
flyturbo
Apprentice

I did the same and it's not working for me. What router do you have?
Message 56 of 135

My router is a newer (recently purchased) ASUS AC-1900. It's only a dual band router. I think it's 5th generation of this type of router, but not sure.
Message 57 of 135
flyturbo
Apprentice

Well I have a R7800 and you would think that it would work better with the extender, being that its a Netgear router and extender!

I have never had issues with the router, but this extender is somewhat challenging, anything I do as in settings doesn't simply work.

Message 58 of 135

My extender failed after about 10 days of what appeared to be solid operation.  I am unable to connect my smart phone to 5Ghz wifi in my house.  I can connect it to my 2.4Ghz wifi, which is direct to my router and has nothing to do with the EX8000.

This will be my last post on this subject.  I have wasted enough time on this EX8000 device.  This is my first NetGear device and whether it's my last or not will depend on whether they refund the money I spent on this, including shipping.

It's pretty obvious to me that NetGear knows this expensive product has issues but still sells it.  That's bad business.

Message 59 of 135
flyturbo
Apprentice

@burneyfalls wrote:

My extender failed after about 10 days of what appeared to be solid operation.  I am unable to connect my smart phone to 5Ghz wifi in my house.  I can connect it to my 2.4Ghz wifi, which is direct to my router and has nothing to do with the EX8000.

This will be my last post on this subject.  I have wasted enough time on this EX8000 device.  This is my first NetGear device and whether it's my last or not will depend on whether they refund the money I spent on this, including shipping.

It's pretty obvious to me that NetGear knows this expensive product has issues but still sells it.  That's bad business.

I know this may sound bad, but I'm happy and relieved that it failed with your setup. I spent so much time setting the router to different channels and anything I tried simply doesn't last past 12 hours. I recently disabled 2.4 GHz radio on the extender and no avail same issues persist. 

But this is very interesting, during all this time that I have been having issues with the extender wifi, never at anytime did the I have issues with wired connected devices. So this obviously indicates and issue with extender to wifi clients and not extender to router. This is a firmware issue or simply bad hardware design that doesn't work. 

As for bad business, definitely Netgear is at fault here. Not admitting that they having issues with this unit and as well as EX7000 model. 

I hope you get your full refund, I think we  should be compensation more then a refund.

Message 60 of 135

I just got off the phone with NetGear Level 2 support.  They keep asking me to provide config data and such from my router and extender and to capture other stuff.  I told them I would do this for a fee (for technical services performed by me) and be an extension of their engineering lab duties.  I am wasting no more time with troubleshooting this issue unless they want to pay me to help them.  I even spoke with a Level 2 manager who eventually said he would push this up to level 3 engineering to see what they could do without the captured data.

I informed NetGear that my future efforts will be to pursue letting everyone know how NetGear treats consumers of their products.  I am still within my 90 days of support.  Also, per California law (Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act), see page 9 of https://www.caconsumeradvocate.com/sites/www.caconsumeradvocate.com/files/base-image/Song-Beverly-Co... :

"Every work order or repair invoice for warranty repairs or service shall clearly and conspicuously incorporate in 10-point boldface type the following statement either on the face of the work order or repair invoice, or on the reverse side, or on an attachment to the work order or repair invoice: "A buyer of this product in California has the right to have this product serviced or repaired during the warranty period. The warranty period will be extended for the number of whole days that the product has been out of the buyer' s hands for warranty repairs. If a defect exists within the warranty period, the warranty will not expire until the defect has been fixed. The warranty period will also be extended if the warranty repairs have not been performed due to delays caused by circumstances beyond the control of the buyer, or if the warranty repairs did not remedy the defect and the buyer notifies the manufacturer or seller of the failure of the repairs within 60 days after they were completed. If, after a reasonable number of attempts, the defect has not been fixed, the buyer may return this product for a replacement or a refund subject, in either case, to deduction of a reasonable charge for usage. This time extension does not affect the protections or remedies the buyer has under other laws."

As Netgear has already provided a replacement unit to me, the Level 2 manager said they would not provide another replacement.  They have not asked me to send the current unit I have to them for repair.  Therefore, they are in violation of this law and I will be following up with the State of California on this violation.

I want this unit to work as advertised ("with any router").  The router I have is a new ASUS AC1900, which is one of the most common routers on the planet.

Message 61 of 135
Freebeard
Guide

SOLVED

Okay, everyone. With the previous posts, I can confidently say (as of right now... days or even minutes into the future... we'll see) that I have solved the issue of the Mesh Extender suddenly dropping the 5GHz backhaul, causing all sorts of doubt and hatred toward Netgear (which I still hope they fix and or explain so that others with this problem can also solve it).

These are the things I did

1. Set the Mesh Extender IP Address to static on the http://mywifiext.net under the Settings>Wireless>IP Address>Use Static IP Address

2. Set the IP Address of the Mesh Extender to static on my R7000 under Advanced>Setup>LAN

3. On the Router control site, I changed the 2.4 GHz channel to 11, because according the my Netgear App, 11 was free. Go to Basic>Wireless and change the channel from Auto, to a number so it stops switching channels, causing the random 14 minute or so drop out of the 5GHz backhaul

4. Just for kicks and giggles, I also turned on QoS and maxed out my PC and the Mesh Extender with priority... probably not necessary at this point, but what the hey

5. I am now currently enjoying my insane internet speed from the tucked away basement office which once suffered from 20 percent connection of my actual router (because of the way they wired the internet into this house, I had no other option than to get a Mesh Extender)

Again, as said before on this thread... the 2.4 GHz channel set to Auto is the thing that is messing this all up. CHANGE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 62 of 135
CygnusHyoga
Guide

With the latest ddwrt kong build in my R9000  (DD-WRT v3.0-r37910M std (12/06/18)) and the latest firmware of ex8000, I have better uptimes 3 days more or less for 5GHZ and 20hours for 2.4GHZ channels...it's dropping less, but channel 2.4GHZ keep dropping more frequently than 5ghz...and the speed, mmmm you can see in the table.

MAC Address Interface Uptime TX Rate RX Rate Info Signal Noise SNR Signal Quality
x:x:x:x:x:x ath0 20:12:19 780M 6M VHT80SGI -56 -98 42

88%
x:x:x:x:x:x ath0 3 days, 19:39:20 780M 1170M VHT80SGI -62 -98 36

76%
x:x:x:x:x:x ath1 20:25:19 0M 1M LEGACY -58 -91 33  
Message 63 of 135
flyturbo
Apprentice

@Freebeard wrote:

SOLVED

Okay, everyone. With the previous posts, I can confidently say (as of right now... days or even minutes into the future... we'll see) that I have solved the issue of the Mesh Extender suddenly dropping the 5GHz backhaul, causing all sorts of doubt and hatred toward Netgear (which I still hope they fix and or explain so that others with this problem can also solve it).

These are the things I did

1. Set the Mesh Extender IP Address to static on the http://mywifiext.net under the Settings>Wireless>IP Address>Use Static IP Address

2. Set the IP Address of the Mesh Extender to static on my R7000 under Advanced>Setup>LAN

3. On the Router control site, I changed the 2.4 GHz channel to 11, because according the my Netgear App, 11 was free. Go to Basic>Wireless and change the channel from Auto, to a number so it stops switching channels, causing the random 14 minute or so drop out of the 5GHz backhaul

4. Just for kicks and giggles, I also turned on QoS and maxed out my PC and the Mesh Extender with priority... probably not necessary at this point, but what the hey

5. I am now currently enjoying my insane internet speed from the tucked away basement office which once suffered from 20 percent connection of my actual router (because of the way they wired the internet into this house, I had no other option than to get a Mesh Extender)

Again, as said before on this thread... the 2.4 GHz channel set to Auto is the thing that is messing this all up. CHANGE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

SOLVED ? Realy? I applied the same settings and tried many other approaches and whatever I threw at it won't hold past 2 days.

We shouldn't be doing these types of workarounds, the damn unit should be working the minute you configure it to your router, period!

Hopefully, you will post back here to report when your setup failed!

The REAL solution for is to return the unit back for refund. That's the only thing that worked for me.

Good luck!

Message 64 of 135
Freebeard
Guide

Totally understand, man. I agree -- Netgear should at least acklowledge that their product may and probably will have issues with certain Router configurations, and give us some advice on what methods work other than, "Update Firmware", "Reset to Factory Default", "Pray to God that we actually do something and update OUR firmware for the sake of the performance of our product like a good company would and provide a fix for all". All I know is that my router was causing the issue (kind of), and the Mesh Extender couldn't handle the weird vibes my router was sending out, haha. It really IS something they need to address and fix ASAP, but for now, their product is kicking ass in my basement. I won't hold my breath, though. Tomorrow,  or even minutes or seconds from now, it could take another **bleep** all over itself. Who knows. Good luck!

Message 65 of 135

I did everything you did except I put the 2.4Ghz backhaul on Ch 6.  None of it worked.  I was still within my 90 days warranty and Netgear RMA'd my unit for cash refund after much haggling.  I am awaiting my refund.

My conclusion:  The technology is flawed.  It doesn't matter what company built it (NetGear, D-Link, Linksys, TP-Link, etc).  They all use the same technology and it doesn't work over time.  If you look at the reviews for the flagship extenders from any of these companies, they ALL have the same problems.  I have gone back to my old D-Link wireless media bridge setup to satisfy my specific needs.  I have just the router (ASUS RT-AC68U) in my house with no extenders now and that is good enough coverage to support 5 people and 200mbs DL from the cable company.  I may try a cheap (<$30) extender in the spring for coverage into my backyard.  I'll revisit the 2.4Ghz router coverage out there and avoid any extender if possible.

Message 66 of 135
Freebeard
Guide

Sorry to hear that. My plan is to leave everything alone on the router and extender, and if I make any adjustments, I'll know there will be about a 14 minute drop out of the 5Ghz. Weird, makes no sense, but it shouldn't happen now unless I adjust my router settings/channels. If I discover anything else, or think of anything I've missed, I'll definitely share it here.

Message 67 of 135

You will resolve the 14 min 5Ghz backhaul dropout if you put the 2.4Ghz on a fixed channel and you have done that.  However, there will still be IP issues even with everything set up with static IPs.  That is what I experienced.

Message 68 of 135
BaDCrC
Tutor

Don t have any more dropouts for the last 4 weeks.
Fixed channels 2.4 and 5
Fixed IP
Disabled the "smart" option to have the same said for all the network. I am specifying now where to connect for each device.
Message 69 of 135
Freebeard
Guide

Exactly! You have to fix and specify everything. So stupid, but it works for me and BaDCrC. Getting full speeds for now. Love this thing (now that the headache of self-optimizing it is over... for now). I also disabled the smart option. I have the Mesh Extender with an entirely different name than that of the original 5GHz Router name. My computer is the only device that will ever connect to the extender, probably. Everywhere else in the basement gets great Wi-Fi signal and speed.

Message 70 of 135
NJMobile
Tutor

I've had this issue since purchasing the EX8000 in Oct 2018.  I too have been working with Netgear L2 support and they have been very proactive working with me even though we've not resolved the issue.  After reading the thread I've discovered my router's 2.4G band was set to Auto.  On the router I've now set the channel to 6 and reserved the IP address too.  One thing I didn't see in the thread was the time zone setting on the EX8000 didn't match my router.  That too has been corrected.  I've started my 24 hour count down with the suggested fixes and holding my breath.  Of course I bought the extender from Best Buy and can not return it so I've got to find a solution since return/refund chances are slim to none.

Netgear R7000 Router (A hoss I love)

Netgear EX8000 Extender (A loss I hate)

Message 71 of 135
NJMobile
Tutor

The EX8000 connectivity worked about 28 hours then....same old issue-No Internet Connection.  I'll continue to look for suggestions and hope Netgear helps.

R7000 Router (A hoss I love)

EX8000 Extender (A loss I hate)

Message 72 of 135
BaDCrC
Tutor

OMG!

I finally got a stable connexion between the router and the ex8000 by

- deactivating “smart” connexion, havig to deal with 2 differents ssid now (so inconvienient)

- freezing the IP address of the ex8000 once and for all

- freezing the channels of the Ex8000 for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz (no more smart change)

Basically, I just dumbed down to the max what was supposed to be a smart extender.

And now! I am getting the Internet not available message on all my device when trying to connect to the Ex8000. I don’t know if this happened after 28 days but it was workimg until last week. I can’t believe I paid 200$ for this. This is so disappointing from Netgear.

Message 73 of 135
Freebeard
Guide

I actually returned mine. It was stable for the most part, but didn't offer the speed consistency that I desired. It would give me max speeds (wonderful) then an hour later would throttle down to about half. Could be my R7000 router doing that, but whatever. Decided I'm going to run ethernet from the attic to the basement office and just be done with it.
Message 74 of 135
Kicoman
Aspirant

Been running solid with latest firmware for 3 weeks now that I have had it.

DD-WRT on the R9000 would not work for me to the EX8000. N connection only... No pure AC.

But Voxels modified Netgear firmware did work on the R9000 for me with a solid connection to the EX8000.

Message 75 of 135
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7