× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help needed using xfinitywifi hotspot, Wifi adapter and PR2000.

NGUser1
Aspirant

Help needed using xfinitywifi hotspot, Wifi adapter and PR2000.

I sometimes stay at a friends place and they do not have internet service in the home.

However, I am able to connect to an xfinitywifi hotspot (I do have an Xfinity account) for internet service using a Netis WF2116 wifi adapter.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to share the connection with other wireless/wired devices. Specifically, I would like to be able to connect wifi to a Roku box to watch Netflix. Or, a wired ethernet connection would be OK if is faster and more reliable.

I do have the PR2000 and have had it working somewhat but I was getting a pop up message from the computer (running Vista) that it had the same IP address as another computer connected to the network. I couldn't find an IP conflict and went as far as re-installing Vista ( I know it's outdated) and both service packs. Still got the same message.

When connected to the xfinity wifi alone using the Netis WF2116, I get a 70-100% signal. No problem there. Works great and stays connected.

I'm not sure how to put the PR2000 in the mix and get everything to work properly. What mode do I use? What settings in the Netgear Genie interface?

Would using the Netis WF2116 in AP mode be of any help?

Whenever the WF2116 is connected to the PR2000 SSID that's when the problems occur and I can see on the WF2116's screen that the IP address keeps flashing on then off.

Any suggestions on the best way to get this working would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Message 1 of 3
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Help needed using xfinitywifi hotspot, Wifi adapter and PR2000.

I found this link below, but I don't think it will work IF you are required to sign into xfinity to be able to surf. http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24571/~/how-to-configure-pr2000-with-wireless-wan-mode I understand this is off topic but thought it might be of some help to any Comcast subscriber's who are trolling the forums. I am a Comcast subscriber and have Crisco (cisco) POS DCP 3939 which isn't Hot Spot supported as of yet. I was looking forward to diverting some traffic to it to help curb my monthly usage. I haven't as yet connected to any hot spot but I'm assuming it probably won't allow you share the connection. I could be wrong. The DPC3939 with it's current lack of support is a turd. If you want to use bridge mode after the initial install be prepared for a long drawn out call to support. For some reason when switching to bridge mode it won't CONNECT with any device 9 out 10 times following a required reboot. You need to set a static IP on PC then type 10.0.0.1 to it change it back to router mode. For testing I need to use bridge mode and think I finally figured out how to do it. Before selecting bridge ( RESTORE FACTORY SETTINGS) seems to allow it to had out Public IP and connect to a router or directly to a PC.
Message 2 of 3
NGUser1
Aspirant

Re: Help needed using xfinitywifi hotspot, Wifi adapter and PR2000.

Thanks for the link.

I am able to use that method to connect but I still get an IP conflict message that pops up and believe that is causing problems.

I do need to log into my xfinity account to join the hotspot so that isn't an issue. Either I connect to the xfinity hotspot directly with the WF2116 and log in, then switch the WF2116 connection to the SSID of the PR2000..or I log on to the PR2000 and it will tell me I need to log in to my account first then direct me there. Both ways seem to work.

At one point I did have everything working wirelessly to connect to Netflix. My account came up but the connection was slow and it wouldn't stay connected. That's why I thought using the Ethernet out on the PR2000 might be more reliable. However, the Roku does not connect all the way from the Ethernet out of the PR2000 to the Roku Ethernet in. I tried both ports and it won't connect. At least one port should function when the PR2000 is in wireless mode...or am I wrong about that?

The WF2116 is rated for 300Mbps so that should be fast enough for video streaming. The next time I am going to try the WF2116 in AP mode without the PR2000 and see if the Roku will connect that way. If it does, then I know the issue is with the PR2000.
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7