× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How To Setup A Network For Building-To-Building?

MotoRider42HC
Aspirant

How To Setup A Network For Building-To-Building?

(This is not about the Orbi or Range Extender, i did not know where else to post for help.)

This is my current network map:

Internet > Orbi Router > Orbi Satellite >

...through glass double-pane window...

... across 30ft air space ...

...through metal building exterior wall...

...through metal building interior wall...

> Orbi Satellite  > Connected Devices (Ethernet & WiFi)

I am currently getting maybe 5Mbps and the Orbi is barely keeping the 2.4GHz connection stable.  Occasionally it will stupidly try to switch to 5GHz and drop everything for 15-20 minutes, then finally reconnect.  So, obviously, the two panels of steel are killing the Orbi's signal, so the Orbi is the wrong solution for this network.   Unforunately, I already wasted a ton of money on it, and can't send it back. 

So, my home  has a  very strong and robust network of Orbi, I have one router, and three satellites in the house.  Everywhere in the house, and everywhere in my yard, I have a great signal.  Even standing next to the metal building, I have a perfect signal.  However, the moment you cross into the building, everything drops to zero, and all signals are lost.  Obviously due to the metal panels creating a Faraday cage.

So,... the solution to connecting the metal building to the existing Orbi network, would be  some sort of  outdoor device, that would connect to the WiFi network created by the Orbi, and then run that inside the building via Ethernet, where i would hook that to a router and broadcast a new WiFi signal along with connecting my ethernet devices.

Quick response to a common answer i've gotten elsewhere:

"Why not bury a Cat6 cable? " = It is not possible in this scenario.

Are there any devices that can do what I need?  Any kind of outdoor antenna that connects to an indoor router?  Or some kind of Repeater with a very specific mode that acts like a wireless adapter?  Or some kind of wireless bridge, but one that can recieve any WiFi signal and convert it to Ethernet?  Someone please help!  There has got to be a wireless solution  that doesn't involve completely trashing the whole Orbi system???,... i wasted way too much money on it, stupidly thinking it had enough power to make it though a steel wall panel.

Note:

I've tried a "WiFi Repeater" from Ubiquiti, which the seller claimed had a Client mode that would take the WiFi signal and pipe it through Ethernet to my router, and turns out they were lying and the Client mode on the repeater can only use the Ethernet for supplying internet to the device, not from the device.

Please help!!!

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: How To Setup A Network For Building-To-Building?

@MotoRider42HC wrote:

Are there any devices that can do what I need?  Any kind of outdoor antenna that connects to an indoor router?  Or some kind of Repeater with a very specific mode that acts like a wireless adapter?  Or some kind of wireless bridge

I've tried a "WiFi Repeater" from Ubiquiti,

Well, if you are using a radio link, you need to mount at least the antenna outside and run a cable to it. 

Ubiquiti also has an NanoBeam product line (not a repeater) which is designed to create a point-to-point wireless link that you connect up with ethernet on both ends.  It is designed for outdoor use, and receives the ethernet and power over a single cable (Power over Ethernet).  Note I haven't ever used this product, so this is not a recommendation - just a suggestion for followup up.  https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanobeam-ac-gen2/ and https://dl.ubnt.com/guides/NanoBeam_Gen2/NanoBeam_5AC-Gen2_QSG.pdf

Something along these lines would extend ethernet to the remote building.  You could then place one of your existing Orbi satellites in the remote building, connecting it to the main Orbi Router using ethernet backhaul (running over the point-to-point bridge).

If the remote building uses the same power distribution, you could perhaps also look into powerline networking.

Message 2 of 4
MotoRider42HC
Aspirant

@StephenB

Stephen,

You mentioned a Radio Link.  Do you have a part or model number for that device?  I'v e seen lots of outdoor antenna options that have the standard female connector that you would screw into an adapter.    I guess that Radio Link is the adapter i've been looking for?   Would that Radio Link allow me to connect an Ethernet cable to it, then feed that to a router?

For the backhaul option for the Orbi mesh... Do i have to connect the backhaul to the main router, or can I cannect the backhaul between two satellites?

Thanks for the help!

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@MotoRider42HC wrote:

You mentioned a Radio Link.  Do you have a part or model number for that device? 

No.  Just the NanoStation link above(which is an integrated antenna and radio system). Again, this is not a product I've used myself.

@MotoRider42HC wrote:

Would that Radio Link allow me to connect an Ethernet cable to it, then feed that to a router?

That's exactly what the NanoStation does.  Ethernet connected at both sides, with a radio link in between.  The ethernet can be connected to a switch, router, whatever.  The radios do need PoE, but you can use a power injector.  Not sure if one is included in the box (and if you get your own you would want to contact the vendor and make sure it is compatible).

@MotoRider42HC wrote:

For the backhaul option for the Orbi mesh... Do i have to connect the backhaul to the main router, or can I cannect the backhaul between two satellites?

Not sure if you can do ethernet backhaul to another satellite - that's not something I've done.  It'll perform best if you can reach the router.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series