× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to change IP Address back?

lalamoe
Aspirant

How to change IP Address back?

Hello, you can probably tell I am a newbie here and my knowledge with routers and whatnot is very small 😞 Which would explain why I made this big mistake and now I want to reverse what I did. A few months ago (not sure exactly when) I changed my IP Address with a youtube video as a guide. I have a Netgear Wireless N-150 Router, along with a Scientific Atlanta modem. According to my mom, Comcast assigned us an IP Address, and I had changed it before they told me it wasn't right to change an IP Address a company assigned me and that I wasn't supposed to. Now, I don't remember what was the website I used to change it and I can't find the video 😧 Ever since that change, my laptop has had problems too. The internet crashes every few hours and I have to disconnect and re-connect the router and wait a minute or two to get it back again, and everytime I click on a site, it redirects me to another. Please help, I want to get everything back the way it was but I don't know how :confused:

Message 1 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: How to change IP Address back?

1. turn off the cable modem and unplug ethernet cable
2. wait for few min (5min)
3. turn on the cable modem only and do NOT plug any ethernet cable
4. wait until all the light up on cable modem
5. ONLY after all the light is up. hook up a router behind the cable modem
6. you should able to get public IP from the ISP and it will show up in the router status when you login the router.

Scientific Atlanta modem.

post specific model of the unit

To first quote, reset the the router as well. see router reset on my sig below and do that first and follow the 1~5 instructions
Message 2 of 8
lalamoe
Aspirant

Thankyou for helping me out!

I clicked on your "Router Reset", and I went to the No.4 instructions, but I don't know If I either have to follow Step 1 and then Step 5, or I can only do one of them?

Also, I can't find the box the modem came in but I see a couple of numbers and characters on the side of the modem:
S/N 222344895
MAC 0023BE8ECFEA

DPC2100R2
CABLE MODEM
Rating: 12V 1A
P/N: 4012460
HW Rev.: 2.1

I don't know if this will help, but it's what I see.
Message 3 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/userguides2/4005527.pdf

okay this basic modem only ...

I clicked on your "Router Reset", and I went to the No.4 instructions, but I don't know If I either have to follow Step 1 and then Step 5, or I can only do one of them?

follow exactly...:)
you can not skip any of it. also you may want to turn off the cable modem for 20min or so
Message 4 of 8
lalamoe
Aspirant

Yes that's the modem!

And surprizingly I comprehend everything, despite my lack of knowledge on computers 😛 Except for instruction number 5, where I have to hook my router behind the modem. Which cable do I use to hook it to the modem? The only cable that connects them together right now is the ethernet cable.
Message 5 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

cable between cable modem to internet port of router..

can be that difficult about it
Message 6 of 8
dieudonneMC
Aspirant

I want to change IP address. How?

I need to change the 3rd number ex: 192.168.1.. the "1" needs to be a 3,4,5 or something other than the "1". No where tells how.
Message 7 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Address reservation under LAN setup in router interface
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series