× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is a 120v power adapter multi-voltage and can be used on 220v mains?

SH-GTS
Aspirant

Is a 120v power adapter multi-voltage and can be used on 220v mains?

Hi,

I just recently bought and imported the Nighthawk Tri-band Mesh WiFi 6 System (Model: MK83) from USA. I was not aware this router's power adapter only supported 110-120v input. In my country its 220v mains.

Some forum members and also around the internet suggested that all netgear adapters support multi voltage (i.e. 110 - 240v) although the adapter label may suggest otherwise and I should be able to use these with 220v. 

Netgear may have specific labes to avoid the hassel of certifying devices for multi-voltage operation in different regions.

I would really appreciate if someone can confirm this or help me suggest a way to check it my self if this is the case as i dont want to blow up my $400 router for this. 

I have attached a picture of the adapter that came with the router. The Power Adapter model is ADS-40FPA-12

Really appreciate your support. Thanks

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 4
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Is a 120v power adapter multi-voltage and can be used on 220v mains?

Hi SH-GTS,

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Thank you for reaching out. We are sorry for the confusion. The device itself supports 100-240V power input but the power adapter will be based on the region where you purchased the device. If you purchased the device in US, it will have a 100-120V power adapter only. You may still use the device by purchasing a universal power adapter that can handle 220-240V input with an output of 12V @ 2.5 Amperes. For you reference, please check the manual on page 126 https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/MK83/MK83_UM_EN.pdf

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 2 of 4
SH-GTS
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply and clarification.

In this case can you suggest where i can buy the correct original Netgear power adapter that supports 220v input and has the correct configuration? Or tell the adapter model number?

I want to avoid buying just any off the self adapter that may have different polarity/wattage and can damage the router.

Thank you
Message 3 of 4
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SH-GTS,

You are welcome. Netgear does not sell power adapters but here's the power adapter specification that you needed for a universal power adapter:

North America: 120V, 60 Hz, input

UK, Australia: 240V, 50 Hz, input

Europe: 230V, 50 Hz, input

All regions (output): 12V, 1A DC output P

Reference: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/MK83/MK83_UM_EN.pdf page 127

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7