× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is netgear-extender.supportmywifiext.net/local/ a legitimate site?

cjeharvey
Follower

Is netgear-extender.supportmywifiext.net/local/ a legitimate site?

I tried to connect to mywifiext.local, from a Netgear site, and it would not connect.  When I googled the site I got https://netgear-extender.supportmywifiext.net/local/.    I soon found myself in an online chat and then had a tech on the phone accessing my computer.  I got uncomfortable and ended the call.  Is this a legitmate support organization?

Model: EX6920|AC1200-WiFi Range Extenders
Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Is netgear-extender.support**wifiext.net/local/ a legitimate site?

No it's not, pure Scam, potentially even installing malware - like many other similar "support" domains. This is very misleading as mywifiext.net and mywifiext.com (along mywifiext.local with some extenders/computer systems) are the correct domains to access the extender if connected direct to it.

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Is netgear-extender.support**wifiext.net/local/ a legitimate site?

@schumaku wrote:

No it's not, pure Scam, potentially even installing malware - like many other similar "support" domains. This is very misleading as mywifiext.net and mywifiext.com (along mywifiext.local with some extenders/computer systems) are the correct domains to access the extender if connected direct to it.

I agree.   I've alerted Netgear, but there might not be much they can do about it.  Note that supportmywifiext.net and mywifiext.net are different domains.

General rule here:  Don't use internet search engines to find support.  

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7