× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Literally no upload speed on wired AC3000-Nighthawk X6S Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender

cireland
Aspirant

Literally no upload speed on wired AC3000-Nighthawk X6S Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender

Hi, 

So I am having issue with the extender actually have been for ages with constant disconnects , anyhow that is not the main problem (which I think I fixed by going back to default firmware.)

The problem; my upload speed is nonexistent, speedtest.net is doing the download fine, circa 150mb but when it comes to upload says I am not connected to the internet, when I try other speed testers it is giving me upload speed of 0.1 or 0.2mb which is obviously not right - this is over a wired connection.

I have tried different firmware, I have tested the connection on my phone over WiFi and tested the PC over WiFi and my upload is fine. i.e about 18-20mb. (although by download is a lot lower circa 65mb - I have also tried without using the netgear extender and just using my virgin router and despite slower downloads I am not having any issues with the upload speed.

Any suggestions highly welcomed! 

Thanks
Chris
Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 10
cireland
Aspirant

Re: Literally no upload speed on wired AC3000-Nighthawk X6S Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender

Hi

So I am having issue with the extender actually have been for ages with constant disconnects , anyhow that is not the main problem (which I think I fixed by going back to default firmware.)

The problem; my upload speed is nonexistent, speedtest.net is doing the download fine, circa 150mb but when it comes to upload says I am not connected to the internet, when I try other speed testers it is giving me upload speed of 0.1 or 0.2mb which is obviously not right - this is over a wired connection.

I have tried different firmware, I have tested the connection on my phone over WiFi and tested the PC over WiFi and my upload is fine. i.e about 18-20mb. (although by download is a lot lower circa 65mb - I have also tried without using the netgear extender and just using my virgin router and despite slower downloads I am not having any issues with the upload speed.

Any suggestions highly welcomed!
Thanks
Chris

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 2 of 10
StephenB
Guru

When you say the EX8000 is "wired", do you mean that it is wired to the router (using AP mode)?  Or do you mean that you are connecting a PC to the EX8000 LAN port (using extender mode)?

Also, what router (manufacturer+model) are you using?

Message 3 of 10
cireland
Aspirant

Sorry, I should have been clearer when I say wired I meant connected via ethernet to the PC.

So EX8000  is connected via my router via wifi and then I  connect the EX8000  via ethernet to my PC.

Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Ok, that helps.

Are you using FastLane?

When you connect the PC and phone with WiFi are you using 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz?

Are you using MAC access controls in the router?.

This could be a cabling issue, or a switch port issue.  Have you tried using a different ethernet cable, or a different LAN port in the EX8000?

Message 5 of 10
cireland
Aspirant

Sorry for the delay I wanted to get home and check a couple of your points to make sure.

Are you using FastLane? - I don't think so I can't actually see having gone through all the options anything called "FastLane"

When you connect the PC and phone with WiFi are you using 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz? Phone I connect with either it picks up the strongest signal. For some reason the PC doesn't find the 5Ghz so only the 2.4Ghz

Are you using MAC access controls in the router?. Not sure what this is - I have full admin if that is what MAC access kind of means.. 

This could be a cabling issue, or a switch port issue.  Have you tried using a different ethernet cable, or a different LAN port in the EX8000? Yes tried a different cable and ports. I thought it could be a cable issue or a port issue but given that the download works as it should, the upload should equally work?

Message 6 of 10
cireland
Aspirant

Thought some pictures might be helpful.

https://ibb.co/jKOuPz
https://ibb.co/mN414z

https://ibb.co/kHdYHK

https://ibb.co/kpYYHK

https://ibb.co/eTiuPz

1 - EX800 2 4ghz Wi Fi

2 - EX800 Ethernet

3 - Virgin Media Router (wifi)

4 and 5 are EX800 settings.

Appreciate your help.

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Your user manual is here btw: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX8000/EX8000_UM_EN.pdf

The datasheet is here: https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/networking/WiFiRangeExtenders/EX8000.pdf

@cireland wrote:

I don't think so I can't actually see having gone through all the options anything called "FastLane"

Actually, per the datasheet it is automatically enabled.  Is the "maximum throughput" LED on the extender lit white (not blinking).

@cireland wrote:

For some reason the PC doesn't find the 5Ghz so only the 2.4Ghz

Does the PC WiFi card support 5 Ghz?

@cireland wrote:

Are you using MAC access controls in the router?. Not sure what this is 

Then you aren't using them.  The extender also has MAC access controls, you can look at page 29 in the manual if you want to get a sense of what they are for.  But for now, it's good that you aren't using them, as they could be part of the puzzle.

@cireland wrote:

I thought it could be a cable issue or a port issue but given that the download works as it should, the upload should equally work?

That depends on the cable/port issue.  Transmit and Receive data use different wires in the cable (and different pins in the NIC socket).  So a problem on that affects only the transmit wires might not effect the receive data (and vice versa).

But if you've already tried a different cable and a different port, I think we can rule that out.

I'm not seeing anything wrong in your configuration pictures, so I am a bit puzzled on what might be going on.

Can you check your PC ethernet status, and confirm that it is using 1 gpbs full duplex?  Also, try pinging the router's internal IP address, and see if that responds.  

Message 8 of 10
cireland
Aspirant

Thanks for your help it has been much apprichated. However I decided to check the drivers for my motherboard and I begun to think it was something software related and there was an update on the 14th Sept (when the upload speed crashed)  installing the new drivers has fixed the problem!

Thanks again.

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@cireland wrote:

installing the new drivers has fixed the problem!

Great to hear.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7