× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mesh wifi at home with pre-existing router and LAN cables

jpsisko
Aspirant

Mesh wifi at home with pre-existing router and LAN cables

Hello everybody.

I live in a 3 stories house, with several lan cables connecting the 3 floors.

I would like to create a MESH network in the house, so to avoid manual selection of which WiFi to connect. I know that one option would be to buy an ORBI kind of system, but I already own a modem/router which is working fine (beside WiFi performances).

Would it be an option to buy a couple of MESH extenders, e.g. EX7000, connect them via LAN to the main router, and configure them to create a common MESH wifi? OR do I need to buy a Netgear mesh router to enable a similar solution?

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Mesh wifi at home with pre-existing router and LAN cables

No, you'd want an actual mesh system. You'll have better stability, better speed, and less worries. 

The extenders don't work as mesh when wired as an AP (access point). 

As well as they work great until you need more than 1. Then its better to run a system designed for mesh. 

Message 2 of 7
jpsisko
Aspirant

Thanks for the help.

One extra questions that comes to mind: can I install a mesh system and connect the devices via LAN to maximize the speeds?

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

@jpsisko wrote:

Thanks for the help.

One extra questions that comes to mind: can I install a mesh system and connect the devices via LAN to maximize the speeds?

you mean connect devices to the satellites lan? 

Not sure exactly what you're meaning but the lan ports are usable

Message 4 of 7
jpsisko
Aspirant

Nope. I meant connect the satellites together via LAN instead than via Radio... So I could have 1 mesh repeater and 1 mesh router, connected together via LAN.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

If your using MESH EXTENDERS and not orbi, you can connect via lan cable but they won't function as a mesh. 

to use a hardwired mesh, you'd want the orbi setup that supports an ethernet backhaul. 

Message 6 of 7
jpsisko
Aspirant

I was thinking exactly about ORBI setup.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7