× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My Powerline 1200 Adapter connection speed light turns red after plugging into PC.

Joescence
Tutor

My Powerline 1200 Adapter connection speed light turns red after plugging into PC.

Title basically is the problem. When my Ethernet cable is not plugged into a device, the connection light is Green (indicating speeds >50mbps iirc). However, once plugged into a device, it turns red (indicating speeds <1 mbps).

My home is equipped with an orbi mesh network if this is relevant. My PC does not retain a stable connection over wifi as it is located in an office that is well enclosed in my basement. I’ve run a script that pings my router each second to record the delay and it will oscillate between 3ms and >2000ms delay, occasionally timing out altogether for a moment or two at a time.

Any help is greatly appreciated and I will actively respond to suggestions or calls for clarification!
Model: PL1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: My Powerline 1200 Adapter connection speed light turns red after plugging into PC.

What I've done?

first start with the powerline devices on the same breaker. If everything works fine, you know the powerline devices themselves are usually good. 

Then start moving them apart. You might need to unplug a few devices to see whats causing issues or keep track of drops to see if they coincide with anything. I had a microwave that'd make my powerline drop whenever it was turned on. not a good sign. its a bit of a crapshoot. sorry

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
Joescence
Tutor

Re: My Powerline 1200 Adapter connection speed light turns red after plugging into PC.

Ah, read the post back. Should clarify the script that pings my router was run while connected to the powerline adapter, not wireless connection. Occasionally the ping latency is stable, however sometimes it oddly oscillates to yield very large delay which is a bit of a nuisance.

The down speed is always quite low however. It is noticeably quicker when the ping latency is more consistent, however still significantly slower than our 400 megabit internet speeds. Clocks in at around 0.7mbps down at its peaks.
Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

so you only have this issue when the pc is plugged into it? 

powerline devices are sensitive to interferece. this could be gfci outlets, arc fault breakers, surge protectors, cheap/bad cell phone chargers, high draw appliances, or even just appliances/electronics that are going bad. 

If one device is causing the issue, I'd be inclined to be looking at that device closer as its probably the issue

Message 3 of 6
Joescence
Tutor

Basically try unplugging devices from around the home to see if it’s a certain device at fault? Just want to clarify before I go around undoing and redoing any cabling around the home.
Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

What I've done?

first start with the powerline devices on the same breaker. If everything works fine, you know the powerline devices themselves are usually good. 

Then start moving them apart. You might need to unplug a few devices to see whats causing issues or keep track of drops to see if they coincide with anything. I had a microwave that'd make my powerline drop whenever it was turned on. not a good sign. its a bit of a crapshoot. sorry

Message 5 of 6
Joescence
Tutor

Who would've thought! Unplugging a nearby phone charger did the trick.Thanks for the help plemans!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7