× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR genie Smart Setup

k9ninja
Aspirant

NETGEAR genie Smart Setup

Can't connect to the Laptop.  The browser does NOT take directly to the "NETGEAR genie Smart Setup!"  Then, it instructs:  "If you are NOT automatically directed to NETGEAR genie, launch a web browser and type "www.mywifiext.net" in the address field.  I press ENTER, and I get THIS:

Oops!

It seems that you have navigated to this page by accident. If you are looking to connect to the user interface of your NETGEAR Powerline or WiFi Extender device, please connect to that device’s WiFi hotspot and try the URL again (www.mywifiext.net).

You can make sure you are connected to your extender by following these simple steps:

1. Use the WiFi network manager on your mobile device, such as a computer or tablet, to find and connect to the NETGEAR_EXT (SSID) WiFi network (or the name of the network you chose [name]_EXT).

I GET THIS OVER AND OVER!  SO FRUSTRATED!  CAN ANYONE HELP?

Message 1 of 4
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: NETGEAR genie Smart Setup

That ‘Oops’ message is Internet based, i.e. you have an active connection to the Internet if you see that message. This is most commonly cause where a WiFi client has not associated with the extender, but is instead associated with the base station. You need to make sure that the client connects to the extender, in which case the PC may possibly not be allocated an IP address but your browser should take you to the extender admin pages.

Message 2 of 4
k9ninja
Aspirant

I'm sorry, I'm not that computer saavy.  I don't know what, "internet based," and having an "active connection," means!  You said my "WiFi Client," 'has not associated with the extender, but is instead associated with the "base station." You need to make sure that the client connects to the extender, in which case the PC may possibly not be allocated an IP address but your browser should take you to the extender admin pages.'

This sounds like "Chinese" to me!  I'm sorry.  But I need to know, EXACTLY how to get this WiFi Extender bonded with my Laptop.  Thing is....I had to do this twice before, and it worked!  Before, the right webpage popped up eventually!  Don't know what I did to make it "accidently" happen!  I kept getting that Oops message at first before, also.  This time, not happening.

Message 3 of 4
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

When you use a web browser e.g. Firefox or Internet Explorer and enter mywifiext.net (or whatever the Extender instructions say) then if the computer is wirelessly connected to the extender the admin pages for the extender will be seen. These pages are entirely contained within the extender software.

If however the computer is not wirelessly connected to the extender, but is instead connected to the base station, then the extender will not ‘see’ the ‘mywifiext.net’ url. The base station will instead send the data to the Internet and the internet based web page that you saw will be displayed.

So to use ‘mywifiext.net’ to access the extender settings you must first check that the computer’s WiFi device is connected to the extender, using whatever utility that device has for scanning for WiFi networks. If you find it is associated with the base station then you would typically select the ‘disconnect’ option, then select the extender network name, then select ‘connect’.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7