× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need help with extending range

Microfiche
Aspirant

Need help with extending range

I seem to be unable to use a mesh system as I want to use Yamaha MusicCast and I have 2 receivers that need to be on the same network in order to work properly, but the odler one will only connect to 2.4 GHz and the newer will only connect to 5 GHz in a mesh system. I have discovered this by upgrading to a Netgear MK62 system and spinning my wheels for weeks trying to get it to work. Everything was GREAT, except no go on the MusicCast. I switched back to my old Linksys WRT1900ACS AC1900, and MusicCast worked great once I could control which SSID the receivers connected to, but I started getting buffering when streaming wirelessly to my upstairs TV due to the reduced bandwidth and weaker connection. So, get a newer router, I thought. Went and picked up up a R7200 Nighthawk AC2100 this morning. The performance doesn't seem to be much better than the 5 year old Linksys.

So I now have a Nighthawk MK62 and a  Linksys WRT1900ACS sitting in the closet and I am not much further ahead then I was before I started buying routers.

The router is in the lower level, and we spend most of our time upstairs. The house is wood frame, 1200 square feet per floor (40 x 30), with the router in the lower level. I need 2 SSID's one for 2.4 and one for 5 GHz.

I really need some help in determining how to best get a better 5 GHz signal upstairs. Do I get a range extender? I have cat 5e running upstairs from the wireless router to a gigabit switch in my office, so could I use the Linksys as an AP in that office?

Any help greatly appreciated. I have run out of ideas.

Model: AC2100|Nighthawk AC2100 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Microfiche
Aspirant

Re: Need help with extending range

In the event anyone ever searches for MusicCast and mesh Wi-Fi here, I will answer my own question.

I gave up waiting for Yamaha to get back to me, and I didn't get much help from various forums, as I went ahead and set up the Linksys WRT1900ACS in wired bridge mode upstairs, connected to the Nighthawk AC2100 Smart WiFi Router through a switch and disable the 2.4 GHz network on the LInksys. That pretty much solved all my problems, except for the money I spent on the Netgear MK62 system that would not work. My phone even controls the MusicCast equipment when connected to the new 5 GHz network, so the problem must be that Yamaha MusicCast wants all the controlled equipment connected to the 2.4 GHz (or same - but I can't test that as the older unit can't connect to 5 GHz) network. What a pain.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Microfiche
Aspirant

Re: Need help with extending range

In the event anyone ever searches for MusicCast and mesh Wi-Fi here, I will answer my own question.

I gave up waiting for Yamaha to get back to me, and I didn't get much help from various forums, as I went ahead and set up the Linksys WRT1900ACS in wired bridge mode upstairs, connected to the Nighthawk AC2100 Smart WiFi Router through a switch and disable the 2.4 GHz network on the LInksys. That pretty much solved all my problems, except for the money I spent on the Netgear MK62 system that would not work. My phone even controls the MusicCast equipment when connected to the new 5 GHz network, so the problem must be that Yamaha MusicCast wants all the controlled equipment connected to the 2.4 GHz (or same - but I can't test that as the older unit can't connect to 5 GHz) network. What a pain.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7