× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need recommendation for new WiFi extender

Nancywb70
Aspirant

Need recommendation for new WiFi extender

Hi - We need to upgrade our WiFi extender.  We currently have the WN300 RP but it is not working well with our ADT cameras which seem to be falling out of range.  We have an Orbi RBR50.  Which WiFi extender would be compatible and give us maximum range?  Thanks.

Model: WN3000RP|Universal WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: Need recommendation for new WiFi extender

If you've already got an orbi router (and the rbr50 is a solid one at that) I'd add satellites to it. 

You can use the RBR20, RBW30, RBS40, RBS40V, RBS50, RBS50Y. 

the  EX7500, EX7700, EX8000 would all also work but wouldn't be "controlled" by the orbi router like the full orbi satellites. 

Message 2 of 10
Nancywb70
Aspirant

Sorry.  I think the extender is for our ADT system wich is an Arris Touchstone CM8200.  That is what we need the extender for.

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

the Touchstone cm8200 is a modem only. What router do you have? 

Message 4 of 10
Nancywb70
Aspirant

We have the Orbi router for our home wifi.  The Arris is supplied by ADT and only for our 3 security cams.  One camera keeps dropping because its too far away.  I think we need the extender for the cameras.  Its confusing.  The Netgear WN3000RPH extender we have now works, but the red light keeps coming on and our one camera keeps dropping.  I'm thinking we need a stronger one. Not sure which one to buy.

Thanks for your help!

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

If you truly have the arris cm8200, its a modem only. it doesn't have routing, it doesn't have wifi. 

Whoever setup the WN3000rph, more than likely connected it to your orbi setup. It could be part of the issue. 

You acn always log into your extender and check what signal its connected to. 

Message 6 of 10
Nancywb70
Aspirant

I am so incredibly confused!  The ARRIS router is from our cable company for our cable an internet.  The ADT device is a Pulse PGZNG1router that serves our cameras.  That is what needs the extender.  So sorry!

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

have you checked with ADT to see if there's a certain protocol their smart home setup needs? 

Message 8 of 10
Nancywb70
Aspirant

Yes. They haven't been very helpful.  I was hoping to just purchase a more powerful extender to fix the problem.

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

A couple things. 

1. i believe the adt devices have special firmware on them. I don't think standard extenders would work. 

2. That specific device is a 2.4ghz only device. And they pretty much hit the 2.4ghz limits off the router. You're not going to get "a more powerful' extender that's compatible with adt from what I can find. 

3. you might be able to try changing which 2.4ghz channel the adt router and extender are using. Maybe their on a similar one to the orbi and suffering from interference. You might also try moving the extender around. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7