× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear EX6150 AC1200 Device Connection Problems

jamieallan
Tutor

Netgear EX6150 AC1200 Device Connection Problems

Hi,

I've used my Netgear EX6150 for a number of years as an Access Point wired directly to my router. My router is a Sagemcom Plusnet Hub One. All worked fine up until I had to move the router and 6150. Due to cabling issues with my broadband service provider I had to switch round the locations of the router and 6150 - and set the 6150 as an extender rather than an access point. I get a strong connectivity signal between the router and 6150 where I have connected my desktop pc by cable to the ethernet port. The broadband speed test from this connection is almost as fast as when I connect it directly to an ethernet port on the router itself. However the wifi connectivity on the 6150 is functioning poorly. If I run a broadband speed test from my laptop it's returning about 1/3 of the wired speed of my desktop test. As well as that my wireless printers are not connecting properly. I have an Epson XP-205 and a Canon IP7250. After a number of tries I managed to get the Epson to connect to the 6150 using WPS. and it shows up correctly on the connected devices page on the 6150. However on my desktop and laptop the printer continued to show offline. I deleted the printer and now when I scan for available printers it's not there. For my Canon when I go through the WPS process it is seen by the 6150 as the mac address is listed but isn't assigned an IP address or device name. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Model: EX6150|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 6
jamieallan
Tutor

Re: Netgear EX6150 AC1200 Device Connection Problems

Just an update to this. Since the 6150 could see the Epson XP-205 and showed an IP address I installed the printer on my laptop by using the IP address and it's now working. However my Canon IP7250 has still not got an IP address from the 6150 so I can't do the same for that.

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

A couple of things. 

1. The wireless speeds. When in extender mode, single/dual band extenders have to use the same chip to go router------extender and then extender-----devices. and they can't do both at once. So it automatically cuts the speed that they receive in half.  

2. That speed that got cut in half, thats what its recieving. So if you're router is putting out 100mbps but because of distance, obstructions, interference, etc that extender is only picking up 70mbps, its maximum its going to be able to put out wireless is 35mbps. 

3. When wired in and running access point mode, the extenders don't take that speed hit. So its starting at 100mbps and devices will be able to send/recieve the same. 

4. When devices are hardwired into the extender and its in extender mode, they'd be starting at that 70mbps that the extender is picking up. 

5. Onto the Sagemcom. They're not known for making the best routers. Did you install the extender using WPS? If so, factory reset it and install it using the installation assistant. Also avoid any special characters/spaces in the SSID and password. 

Calculating how much speed you're going to get from an extender can be a challenge. And the 50% thing most people don't know about. Its the whole reason triband extenders and triband mesh systems work so well. They have a dedicated backhaul thats just for cutting that 50% hit out. 

Message 3 of 6
jamieallan
Tutor

Thanks for the reply. I did originally set up the 6150 using WPS but this morning reset it and used a fixed IP and set the router/extender path to 2.4G only - although only about 5 metres apart I've 3 walls and doorways between the devices as the 6150 is in an extension to the house. I haven't changed anything else - should I? I'm now seeing a significant improvement in speed on wifi. I also managed to fix my Canon printer problem by connecting to it by usb and then manually changing the printer port with a fixed IP address. 

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

fastlane (using 1 radio dedicated to just router---extender communition) can sometimes help speeds and sometimes hurt them. 

Reason for this is the 2.4ghz band isn't nearly as fast as the 5ghz band. So if you're using it for backhaul and there's interference, it can be the bottleneck. If its increasing your speed, awesome! Keep using it. 

If you notice a slowdown, you can always swap them and see if the 5ghz works better as backhaul.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

For your fugure extender needs, Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the WiFi Extender products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with WiFi Extender products and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/bd-p/home-wifi-range-extenders

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

@jamieallan wrote:

Hi,

I've used my Netgear EX6150 for a number of years as an Access Point wired directly to my router. My router is a Sagemcom Plusnet Hub One. All worked fine up until I had to move the router and 6150. Due to cabling issues with my broadband service provider I had to switch round the locations of the router and 6150 - and set the 6150 as an extender rather than an access point. I get a strong connectivity signal between the router and 6150 where I have connected my desktop pc by cable to the ethernet port. The broadband speed test from this connection is almost as fast as when I connect it directly to an ethernet port on the router itself. However the wifi connectivity on the 6150 is functioning poorly. If I run a broadband speed test from my laptop it's returning about 1/3 of the wired speed of my desktop test. As well as that my wireless printers are not connecting properly. I have an Epson XP-205 and a Canon IP7250. After a number of tries I managed to get the Epson to connect to the 6150 using WPS. and it shows up correctly on the connected devices page on the 6150. However on my desktop and laptop the printer continued to show offline. I deleted the printer and now when I scan for available printers it's not there. For my Canon when I go through the WPS process it is seen by the 6150 as the mac address is listed but isn't assigned an IP address or device name. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7