× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AC1900 Wifi Extender not connecting to WiFi

Nighthawk AC1900 Wifi Extender not connecting to WiFi

I just moved into a new location where my room is a bit away from the WiFi Router. I am using the Nighthawk AC1900 Wifi Extender that my friend no longer needed. It was working fine for the last few months but for some reason it cut off from my WiFi Router the other day. When I try to use the Netgear Genie to setup the AC1900 Extender and click on the "Use as a Wifi Extender" button, it starts searching for nearby wifi signals and then goes back to the "Set Up New Extender" page.

I have tried clicking on the "Use as an Access Point" button and setting it up--this works fine; however, I need the extender in my room and I don't have a way to run an ethernet cord there.

Please let me know if there's anything at all I can do to fix this. It would mean a lot to me as high-speed internet is important for my work.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AC1900 Wifi Extender not connecting to WiFi

Good luck! I hope it work.

You might check to see if that router supports self organizing network. (son) in its settings. 

the older G3100 had to have that disabled or it'd only connect to its supported extenders for a mesh. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What firmware is on it? 

Did you try factory resetting before you started using the installation assistant? 

Message 2 of 8

I just tried connecting and I run into the same issue. It says searching for WiFi networks and backs out of the page.

The firmware version is listed as follows:

• Hardware Version: EX7000
  • Firmware Version: V1.0.0.30_1.0.72
Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

A couple things. 

1. What router are you connecting it to? 

2. You're on really really old firmware. Its the initial release firmware. Try upgrading it to the 1.0.1.112 firmware and installing it. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/ex7000#download

Message 4 of 8

Alright, ill attempt to update the firmware as soon as I return home. I am connecting to a Verizon CR1000a Router.
Thanks again for your continued support!

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

Good luck! I hope it work.

You might check to see if that router supports self organizing network. (son) in its settings. 

the older G3100 had to have that disabled or it'd only connect to its supported extenders for a mesh. 

Message 6 of 8

Worked perfectly. Thank you so much for your time and help!

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Glad it worked!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements