× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 as Repeater

chad4ksu
Follower

Nighthawk R7000 as Repeater

I am trying to set up my Nighthawk R7000 to use it as a repeater for my Comcast Xfinity Router.  I have followed the instructions to turn off security and set channels.  However, when I try to update the "Repeater IP Address" and the "Base Station MAC Address", it says the page is no longer available and I lose all ability to manage the Nighthawk.  What should I enter for those 2 fields?  I have tried entering the original Netgear IP address and also the IP address that Comcast is showing for the Nighthawk.  For the MAC address, I am entering the address on the back of the Xfinity router.  Any suggestions on how to make it work?

Message 1 of 2
TheEther
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R7000 as Repeater

My usual advice is to not bother trying to use a Netgear router as a repeater.  As you have discovered, Wi-Fi security must be disabled, which means that anyone nearby can connect to your network.  

Ok, maybe you are one of those folks who lives on a farm, so eavesdropping is not a concern.  Well, the next problem is that Netgear routers uses an antiquated form of wireless repeating called WDS.  Your Comcast router also needs to support WDS in order for the Netgear to connect.

You may want to consider installing AsusWrt-Merlin.  It's 3rd party firmware and it should have a more modern implementation of wireless repeating that doesn't require any cooperation from the Comcast router.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series