× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X6S all 8 white LED lights flashing

inle54
Follower

Nighthawk X6S all 8 white LED lights flashing

Hi, 

I recently had a power outage and woke up this mornign to my extender flashing white lights.  It seems like it will not fully reboot and all 8 LED lights flash ever few seconds.   I cant find any documentation what it means if all 8 of the white LED lights are flashing.   I have tried using the reset button, power cycling, and using the WPS button.   Nothign will work...   Has anyone had this issue?  please help

EX8000

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
Hognvette
Initiate

I have the same issue...all lights are flashing

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 12
Rozario
Guide

Did you solve the problem of all 8 LED’s flashing ?

Message 3 of 12
BrianNJ
Initiate

I encountered the same problem; all white lights flashing and the power light in the back flashing red after about 15 seconds from being powered up. I was able to get the router back working by powering down, then power up and used pin to hit the reset immediately - before the power light went to flashing red. At that point the power light stayed green and did not turn red even after 1 minute. I was then able to resetup the router and it is working at least for now - day 1. Good luck!

Message 4 of 12
BrianNJ
Initiate

Update - it appeared to be fixed but once the unit is shutoff it does not maintain the settings when it comes back up. I was able to go through the setup process again and got it to work, but it appears it will not maintain the settings once the unit is turned off (which was my test to see if it would come back after a power failure). I guess its time for a new extender, this one was just less than 1 year old - maybe time for a different brand of router & extender! Too bad, it was great while it worked.

Message 5 of 12
Rozario
Guide

Thank you for your input. Tried resetting before the power LED turned red but no such luck. Tried contacting Netgear support but though the EX8000 is still within warranty and they say it should be replaced, they are avoiding replacing it with some excuse or the other. 

I have also also come to the same conclusion. Buy a router from some other manufacturer and avoid Netgear in future.  Thanks for your input.

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 6 of 12
cbem320
Aspirant

Im having same issue. Router only 8mos old. Issue was happening a few months ago but power cycling resolved issue, happened 2-3x. Now been going on for 3-4 days and unable to factory reset. Tried holding reset button for 7+ seconds around 5x and still all lights flashing. Whats going on Netgear??

Message 7 of 12
Rozario
Guide

Looks like a major hardware problem. My router is in the process of being replaced. It’s on its final days of warranty so managed to fall within the time frame. Netgear is very cooperative. However it seems they have a different warranty period for different countries. 

Message 8 of 12
rabeiro
Tutor

i agree. brand loyalty means nothing to them. i bought mine 12/28/18 and it's now 1/6/2020, only a few days out and now it's nothing more than a $200 brick. not the first time a netgear product just fails on me for no obvious reason. no more netgear

@BrianNJ wrote:

Update - it appeared to be fixed but once the unit is shutoff it does not maintain the settings when it comes back up. I was able to go through the setup process again and got it to work, but it appears it will not maintain the settings once the unit is turned off (which was my test to see if it would come back after a power failure). I guess its time for a new extender, this one was just less than 1 year old - maybe time for a different brand of router & extender! Too bad, it was great while it worked.

Message 9 of 12
dlute009
Aspirant

Well Same thing just happened to me. I reached out to customer support and gave them my info... Purchased on 12/12/18 as of today 02/28/20 it Flashed only the Red Light and didn't turn color to Amber, Plus all front lights flashing.. No way to connect this thing from the router or website since it isn't being reconized. Tried resetting for 15+ Seconds and unplugging and turning back on the Extender. When I spoke to customer support he said sorry 1 year for hardware. Doesn't matter if it was just 1 day over and that is just the way it is and that is why they won't help me. Netgear i hope you aren't making products to only last 1 year! The customer support guy said he could do 3 things for me. 3 different Tiers of service between $60/$120/$200 ranges... Partly they work on 3rd party products besides the Netgear Brand itself if you with the higher Tier. He also said our products last 3-4 years and I am asking then why are other customers reporting this same issue and it only last 1 year for hardware, epecially in my specific situation? Common sense say's put a guarantee on the box to sale more if that is the case. Instead a LED light bulb are going to last longer??? I hope my nighthawk router doesn't stop working... I don't think I will buy another product from netgear if this can't be handled without charging extra fee's.

Message 10 of 12
NX7N
Aspirant

I did get it to work after a power outage. Had some of the same problems noted above. Did a few resets, then walked away, when it was looking for the mywifiext.local site, for 5 minutes or so and it came up. Im thinking it is extra slow and I didnt wait long enough. 

Message 11 of 12
bsmith66
Initiate

I was having this same problem on my x6s and resolved it by installing the latest version of the firmware as described here:

https://kb.netgear.com/27477/How-to-resolve-amber-LEDs-or-a-blinking-power-LED-on-NETGEAR-routers

After the upgrade, I reconfigured using the WPS buttons and everything has been working since.

Hope this helps.

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7