× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Outdoor signal strength

Allend04
Tutor

Outdoor signal strength

Nighthawk X6 R7900, Having problems with signal strength outside my home.  I have several ring cameras and they all show a signal strength of -60 or more.  My nighthawk is located in the center of my home and is less than 40 feet from my cameras.  I have tried indoor extenders but no help.  Any suggestions 

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

I get decent wifi outside with Orbi, though my Arlo cameras are using the Arlo base station.  My construction is wood, not brick.

You've tried two different extenders with poor results, which suggests that trying yet a third indoor extender is a bad idea.  You probably need something outside.

If you have a sheltered outdoor outlet (well protected from rain by a porch, or perhaps in a garage or shed) you could try putting a powerline extender like the PLPW1000 in that location.  If you have cold winters, you'd probably exceed it's operating temperature range, but it might still work.

It is also possible to purchase/install an outdoor AP.  Netgear doesn't make them, but there are other companies that do (including TP-Link).  If you get one that supports power-over-ethernet (most would), you'd only need to run cat-6 through the wall to the AP location.  If you install it near the roof line (under the eaves) you might be able to avoid drilling through the brick. You would want to use cable that's rated for outdoor use. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Allend04 wrote:

Nighthawk X6 R7900, Having problems with signal strength outside my home.  I have several ring cameras and they all show a signal strength of -60 or more.  My nighthawk is located in the center of my home and is less than 40 feet from my cameras.  I have tried indoor extenders but no help.  Any suggestions 

The Nighthawk is almost certainly running at the max power level that's allowed in your country.

What is the house construction?  Do you have steel (either rebar or studs) in the outer walls?

Also, were the extenders at or near the outer wall of the house?  What models were you using?

Message 2 of 7
Allend04
Tutor

The house is 2x4 with brick on outside.  I’ve tried two different extenders one netgear and the other Ring Chime pro.  The netgear preform worst than the pro but neither work well.  I’ve tried it in several different locations both interior and exterior walls.  I’ve relocated my router also with no difference in outside signal strength.  Currently the router and one camera are both about 7 feet high(above floor) and 22 feet apart with a window on the outer wall and have very poor signal strength.

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

I get decent wifi outside with Orbi, though my Arlo cameras are using the Arlo base station.  My construction is wood, not brick.

You've tried two different extenders with poor results, which suggests that trying yet a third indoor extender is a bad idea.  You probably need something outside.

If you have a sheltered outdoor outlet (well protected from rain by a porch, or perhaps in a garage or shed) you could try putting a powerline extender like the PLPW1000 in that location.  If you have cold winters, you'd probably exceed it's operating temperature range, but it might still work.

It is also possible to purchase/install an outdoor AP.  Netgear doesn't make them, but there are other companies that do (including TP-Link).  If you get one that supports power-over-ethernet (most would), you'd only need to run cat-6 through the wall to the AP location.  If you install it near the roof line (under the eaves) you might be able to avoid drilling through the brick. You would want to use cable that's rated for outdoor use. 

Message 4 of 7
Allend04
Tutor

Thank you, I will try the PLP 1010, and let you know the results.

Message 5 of 7
Allend04
Tutor

I wanted to follow up on your suggestions, I installed two netgear PoE Wi-Fi extenders and now everything works very well, thank you

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Allend04 wrote:

I wanted to follow up on your suggestions, I installed two netgear PoE Wi-Fi extenders and now everything works very well, thank you

Great, I'm glad I could help. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7