× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Password incorrect Nighthawk

tenzie
Aspirant

Password incorrect Nighthawk

Our router has always worked until recently. It just disconnected and everytime we go to enter the password on the back of the unit, it says Incorrect password for "NETGEAR94". Our old wifi connection still works. 

I have tried turning the power off, unplugging it, forgetting network and pressed the restart button on the unit. Nothing has worked.

Any suggestions would be appreicated...please keep it as simple as possible as I am not super techy.

Thank you!

Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@tenzie wrote:

PS: It's an extender not a router (I was corrected earlier).

No, you misunderstood that.  Your initial post is tagged with Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender which is an extender.  You actually have an R7000, which is a router.  Of course I didn't know what you actually had until you posted the picture of the label, which includes the model.  So your mistake was that you didn't select the correct model in your initial post. 

BTW, this is posted in the wrong place, it should actually be in the Nighthawk forum area.

@tenzie wrote:

I should mention, I purchased this from someone else. I tried to register it but it says the serial # is already registered.

Netgear warranties and paid support are only offered to the original purchaser.  So they won't allow you to register used equipment.

@tenzie wrote:

Is there any way to just reset everything as if it were new and use the password on the back of the machine?

Yes, and I already told you how to do that.

...use the reset button that is shown on page 12 of the manual.  The procedure is described on page 194.  The manual can be found here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM.pdf

Read through the procedure before you try it.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The EX7000 is an extender, not a router.  Could you please give us the correct model?

Message 2 of 7
tenzie
Aspirant

Sorry, you're correct it's an extender. I have attached a photo.extender.jpeg

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Ok, your router is an R7000.

A router has two passwords - one is for the WiFi, and there is a different one to gain access to the web UI (that lets change settings).  The one printed on the back is for the WiFi - and you can change it during set up if you want to.

You have at least one device that can still access the wifi - what device(s) are they?  Often you can see the wifi password they are using in their settings.

Another approach is to go into the router's web ui ( http://www.routerlogin.net ), and look at the wifi settings there.  You can either browse to it by connecting via ethernet, or you can browse to it from one of the devices that is still connecting.  The username for the web ui is "admin", the default password is "password".

The last approach is to use the reset button that is shown on page 12 of the manual.  The procedure is described on page 194.  The manual can be found here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM.pdf

Message 4 of 7
tenzie
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply @StephenB. No devices are still connected. 

I should mention, I purchased this from someone else. I tried to register it but it says the serial # is already registered.

Where is the user and password part on the site you mentioned below? I can only see email and password for login.

Is there any way to just reset everything as if it were new and use the password on the back of the machine?

When we got it, all we did was hook it up and enter that password and everything worked fine. Now the password is incorrect, yet we are entering the same one.

thank you in advance!

Message 5 of 7
tenzie
Aspirant

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@tenzie wrote:

No, you misunderstood that.  Your initial post is tagged with Model: EX7000|AC1900 WiFi Range Extender which is an extender.  You actually have an R7000, which is a router.  Of course I didn't know what you actually had until you posted the picture of the label, which includes the model.  So your mistake was that you didn't select the correct model in your initial post. 

BTW, this is posted in the wrong place, it should actually be in the Nighthawk forum area.

@tenzie wrote:

Netgear warranties and paid support are only offered to the original purchaser.  So they won't allow you to register used equipment.

@tenzie wrote:

Yes, and I already told you how to do that.

...use the reset button that is shown on page 12 of the manual.  The procedure is described on page 194.  The manual can be found here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM.pdf

Read through the procedure before you try it.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series