× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Powerline Adapter PLP2000 - Can a Wifi Range Extender Be Added?

dougjp
Tutor

Powerline Adapter PLP2000 - Can a Wifi Range Extender Be Added?

I may be lacking in tech knowledge, but even I find my subject description to be strange! I'd better detail my problem Smiley Embarassed  Maybe there is a simple solution.

My ISP recently forced conversion to a TV/Internet/Phone single modem system. I now have my Powerline (and desktop computers) connected through a switch, and the other end is in the living room, with only one of the two ethernet outlets used. It works OK.

I also have a Roku player there, which can only connect via wifi. Connection is either poor, or not possible to connect, depending on its location. This is what I am trying to improve. This situation was also true before when I used my router. The ISP installer said my signal strength was good everywhere (it probably is for their TV connect system, in the living room), and left without installing a wifi pod which would have been free....  The ISP modem can't be moved from its location, which is slightly better than my router location previously.

Can the unused 2nd ethernet outlet on my PLP2000 be used to provide a wifi signal by adding some product?

If that's impossible, can anyone suggest products that could help?

Thanks,

Doug

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Powerline Adapter PLP2000 - Can a Wifi Range Extender Be Added?

Most (not all) of netgear range extenders support access point mode. 

So you can hardwire in most of them. Same with the routers. As far as I know, all of them support access point mode. 

So most of the range extenders and routers will support access point mode and be able to be hardwired in

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Yes. 

You can connect a wifi extender to that and run it in access point mode. 

You could even connect a router and run it in access point mode (if you had an old router)

There's all kinds of extenders/routers that could be used.Its tough to recommend without knowing more about your setup/home/usage/budget. 

Message 2 of 6
dougjp
Tutor

Thank you, I did some more research, and am confused. I'll try to narrow it down. The house is a 1,500 sq ft. bungalow, usage is basic, meaning not many devices are in use and no wifi problems other than this one device. The sole modem in use is a Rogers Ignite WiFi Gateway, which I think is an Arris XB6.

Where I'm confused is, I'm trying to connect a wireless only device (Roku) to a wired network (which in this context I think of as the one empty ethernet out slot on the powerline box located near my Roku player). All the range extenders I've seen which have an ethernet plug, say its an outlet used for attaching a wired device to a wireless network. Ie; the range extenders connect to the network via WPS, and nothing is said about the reverse.

Sorry for my slowness! 

Message 3 of 6
dougjp
Tutor

I "may" have answered my own question.

I went to this range extender which seems adequate for my needs, perhaps (feedback?);

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/range-extenders/ex3700/

Then to Support, User Manual. On page 14 it describes using the ethernet plug to get the incoming signal (from a powerline for example), and then set it up an access point. Hence using the ethernet in reverse.

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

Most (not all) of netgear range extenders support access point mode. 

So you can hardwire in most of them. Same with the routers. As far as I know, all of them support access point mode. 

So most of the range extenders and routers will support access point mode and be able to be hardwired in

Message 5 of 6
dougjp
Tutor

Thanks for your help! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7