× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Securing printer using wifi extender

zheegool
Follower

Securing printer using wifi extender

Hi

Our business currently operates in a co-working space, using the community WIFI network provided by the premises.

For some additional security, we added a wifi extender with our own password.

We connected our wireless printer to this extender (using SSID and PW), but found that the rest of the people on the floor were printing to our printer (by setting up printer via IP address, which was the same as the premises).

How can I secure the printer so you can only get in via the Wifi extender PW?

I've now added an ethernet cable between the Extender and the Printer and turned off the Wifi of the printer.  Problem is my computer can't see the printer.  

Any advice? 

Message 1 of 2
TheEther
Guru

Re: Securing printer using wifi extender

A range extender works by broadcasting a Wi-Fi network and connecting it to another Wi-Fi network. It does not have a firewall so devices connected to either network can see each other. That is why people were still able to print. They could still see the printer while joined to the community Wi-Fi.

In order to use the Ethernet port on the printer, you may need to enable it in the printer's settings and, possibly, power cycle the printer. But the bad news is that this isn't going to help secure your printer from outsiders. You need to disconnect the extender from the community Wi-Fi.

Do you have your own private network or is everyone basically using the community Wi-Fi?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7