× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Static IP in LAN for a Netgear WNR1000v3 Router

countryboy01
Follower

Static IP in LAN for a Netgear WNR1000v3 Router

I am currently building an Internal Web Server. Once done, I would need a Static IP address in the server, rather than a DHCP Reserve IP in the netgear.

Is this possible with the Netgear WNR1000v3?

Message 1 of 5
fordem
Mentor

Yes it can be done - the exact procedure will depend on the web server OS, the router actually plays no part in the exercise, although, you do need to configure the router so that it does not attempt to lease the address you gave the server.
Message 2 of 5
countryboy01
Follower

fordem wrote:
Yes it can be done - the exact procedure will depend on the web server OS, the router actually plays no part in the exercise, although, you do need to configure the router so that it does not attempt to lease the address you gave the server.

Virtual OS: CentOS 6.6 Web Server
Host OS: Linux Mint 17
# of Physical Interfaces: 1

I am using VMWare, Technically I have 9 Eth Ports that are bridged mode in VMWare, but the netgear sees all interfaces as the Eth1 MAC Address(Each interface has a complete different MAC)..

I know with Cisco Enterprise Routers(CLI Mode), that you have to assign a static route. Is that what I would need to do in the Netgear?
Message 3 of 5
fordem
Mentor

First - routes & ip addresses are two completely different & unrelated things, so static routes & static ip addresses will also be different - you can have either one without the other, or both at the same time, depending on what your goal is. Second - under typical circumstances, the installation of an internal web server will not require a static route to be configured in the router, although, if the web server is to publically accessible, other changes will probably have to be made to the router configuration. Just so that it is clear - I have hosted both internal and publicly accessible web servers behind Cisco routers without setting any static routes, so to say that a static route has to be assigned is incorrect, it may have been required by your particular network configuration, but for a typical consumer/residential network such as would be expected behind your consumer/residential Netgear WNR1000, it would not be a normal requirement. I'm not going to get into the nitty gritty of VMware, other than to say if you can ping the Netgear from the CentOS console, a static route on the router is probably not required.
Message 4 of 5
countryboy01
Follower

Thanks for the Insight on this. I will play around and see if I can get it to work. If not I got a GNS3 system that I can just put everything into.

In the interim, I'm marking this as resolved.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7