× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unknown device

Spike_AZ
Aspirant

Unknown device

WN300RPv2 firmware V1.0.0.36

Attached device shows up as UNKNOWN. I recognize the Mac address and using WEP, so I know it is mine.

IPad 2 shows up as unknown device
Samsung Blu-Ray also

The extender shows up in my WNDR4300 firmware V1.0.2.78 as unknown device

Using WPA2-PSK [AES]

Rebooted all devices. All devices are functioning as advertised. Range extender filled in my dead spot.

Other devices show up with their name

I have searched several forums with no avail

Message 1 of 5
lurzan
Novice

Re: Unknown device

That is due to some bugs in the firmware, sometimes it will show the connected device as Unknown Device. Cannot do much on this concern, as the extender is already having the latest firmware, try re-flash the firmware and do a 30 seconds reset and reconfigure it
Message 2 of 5
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Not all devices will reveal their host name, and some may only do so at specific times e.g. only at boot up of the device. So the router / AP / Extender may not be able to display the names of all devices.

Try using a network scanner, e.g. Softperfect Network Scanner, to scan your subnet. In my case I current have 20 devices online and 9 have a network name.

I don’t expect a re-flash of firmware to change the way devices report their names (or not).
Message 3 of 5
Spike_AZ
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking that it is not an exact science, I can live with it. I have 10 devices with 3 not responding with names. Function wise, all is good.
Message 4 of 5
lurzan
Novice

You can try this workaround. User Address Reservation and reserve the IP addresses for those Unknown devices. Assigned the Name of the device when reserving the IP off the devices
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7