× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: VIRTUAL MAC ADDRESS

kusojiji
Tutor

VIRTUAL MAC ADDRESS

While trying to connect the EX8000 to my R7800, the R7800 detects several different MAC addresses from the EX8000. The EX8000 shows 4 virtual MAC addresses in the connected device status page.

Which of these are required? The reason why I ask is I could not connect the EX8000 to use the 5 ghz backhaul and the 2.4 ghz fronthaul on the EX8000. It connected once and ran for about 12 hours. In the morning, I found that it had disconnected and would not connect again.

There are no articles on the internet as to what these virtual MACs are for the EX8000.

Any assistance figuring this out would be appreciated.

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

You should be able to add the mac address on the box to the white list of the router. If not have you tried to add all of them?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 7
kusojiji
Tutor

Hi,

The box has 8C:3B... MACs that do not show up at all in my ACL as blocked or allowed. I see 92:3B and 02:0F MACs in the ACL, with the same last 3. The 92:3B attaches itself to IPs that are assigned to other devices and roams around.

It doesn't make sense.

Thanks for the reply.

Message 3 of 7
lehigh1
Aspirant

I am having the same problem.  The IP address for 2G of EX8000 is on some virtual IP address.  How do I resrve it ?? 

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

The extender needs to relay the packets from the client to the router, and it needs to keep track of the two data flows.  Translating the old mac address to a new one to the backhaul packets is a simple way to do that.  

There is information on this on page 32 of the EX8000 manual here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX8000/EX8000_UM_EN.pdf

Message 5 of 7
kusojiji
Tutor

Sorry, I don't get it. How does this translate to the EX8000 having multiple MAC addresses? I understand the translation for devices connected through the EX8000, but not the EX8000 itself.

I ended up having two MAC addresses that seem to be required, the rest don't seem to be needed. I don't f-around with this thing too much anymore, but adding new devices is a real pain.

Thanks!

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@kusojiji wrote:

Sorry, I don't get it. How does this translate to the EX8000 having multiple MAC addresses? I understand the translation for devices connected through the EX8000, but not the EX8000 itself.

Your post didn't give enough details to know if the MAC addresses were for the EX8000 itself or were for devices connected to the EX8000.

The EX8000 will of course have it's own IP address - allowing you to reach it's web ui from your main network.  I'm away from home at the moment so I can't confirm what you are seeing with my own EX8000.

@kusojiji wrote:

but adding new devices is a real pain.

If you use MAC ACL white-listing, there is of course some extra work. Personally I don't bother with MAC ACL, under the theory that anyone with the skills to crack WPA-2 also has the skills to spoof MAC addresses.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7