× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WIFI to garage

Tanager
Follower

WIFI to garage

Hello,
I am trying to improve my Wifi reception in my garage and backyard. I currently have a Netgear N600 wireless dual band router in my basement (WNDR3400). This works fine for Wi-Fi inside the house but in the garage and backyard the signal gets very weak. (I understand the basement is probably not the best location for the router but it met needs at the time and was handy.)

The garage sits approximately 25 feet north of the house and can be accessed by buried underground conduit going from the basement to the garage. (The router sets approximately 20 feet from the basement wall which makes it about 45 or 50 feet from the garage.)

My neighbor has suggested running a Ethernet Cable from my existing router through the underground conduit to the garage to a new router and configuring the Second Router as a Repeater. Neither of us have the expertise that your people do where you probably deal with these situations on a regular basis.

Looking for a simple solution that would entail as little configuration as possible (plug-and-play?)

I am interested in hearing from you what you feel might be my best option for improving my Wifi connection in my garage.

Thank you for your time.

Steve

Message 1 of 3
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: WIFI to garage

Hello @Tanager

Your neighbor's recommendation is great! I could also recommend that you look into a WiFi range extender. It is as simple as plug-and-play as we have a variety of plug-in extenders. 

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/default.aspx

Regards,

Christian

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: WIFI to garage

@Tanager wrote:

My neighbor has suggested running a Ethernet Cable from my existing router through the underground conduit to the garage to a new router and configuring the Second Router as a Repeater.

If you are running ethernet, then you'd set up the second device as an Access Point (AP), not as a repeater.  Most (likely all) currently shipping Netgear routers can be run as APs.  So can most of the extenders.

If you don't have that second router yet, then perhaps get an extender that supports AP mode instead.  Then run the cable if you need it.

Another (more expensive) option is to invest in an Orbi system.  This includes a base unit and satellites that work together to give you good coverage over a large area.  One satellite model is designed for outdoors (though it does need AC power).  This would give you better indoor wifi than you are getting with the WNDR3400, as it uses more advanced 802.11ac wifi.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series