× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WN2500RP stopped allowing wired connections to access internet (except my laptop!)

NickJS
Aspirant

WN2500RP stopped allowing wired connections to access internet (except my laptop!)

My WN2500RPv2 has happily worked for over a year, extending my wireless network for my laptop and allowing me to connect two devices (a Vonage router and an ADT Pulse Gateway) by CAT5 cables to access the internet.

Now, for some unknown reason, the WN2500RP does not recognize that either the Vonage router or the ADT Pulse Gateway are plugged in.  I can turn off the wifi on my laptop and use a CAT5 cable to connect it to the WN2500RP and am able to connect to the internet - I have used both of the cables and ports used by the Vonage and ADT devices, so I know it isn't a problem with the cables or the LAN ports they're plugged into.

I have logged into mywifiext.net and can see when my laptop is connected by CAT5 cable, it shows in the Wired section of Connected Devices.  However neither the Vonage router nor the ADT Gateway show as being connected, even though the LAN connection lights on both devices show a connection, but no internet access.

Nothing that I am aware of has changed - things were alll working fine up to about 3 weeks ago when all of a sudden the two wired connections stopped.

Any thoughts on what the heck is going on here?

Thanks,

Nick

Model: WN2500RPv2|N600 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 9
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: WN2500RP stopped allowing wired connections to access internet (except my laptop!)

Hi @NickJS

1. What FW is the extender on?

2. Is your laptop able to connect to the internet wired to the router/gateway? 

~Christian 

Message 2 of 9
NickJS
Aspirant

Hi Christian,

1) Firmware version is V1.0.1.54_1.0.68.

2) My laptop cannot connect to the iternet when wired to the Vonage router or the ADT Gateway.  It can only connect to the internet when it is connected to the Extender, either via CAT5 cable or wirelessly.

I just checked again on mywifiext.net and neither the Vonage router nor the ADT Gateway show as connected devices, even though they are both linked by CAT5 cable and both show connection lights.  It's as if they can see the Extender, but the Extender can't see them, so they can't access the internet...

Thanks,

Nick

Message 3 of 9
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @NickJS

Couple more questions: 

1. Does the Vonage router and ADT gateway work when connected to the main router?

2. What is your network topology? 

3. Please provide the model numbers of the Vonage router and ADT gateway

~Christian 

Message 4 of 9
NickJS
Aspirant

Hi Christian,

1) I can't move the ADT Gateway as it is hard wired in it's current location which is not near my main router so I don't know if it would work if connected directly to the main router instead of to the extender.  The Vonage router does work correctly when connected to the main router.

2) My network topology is as follows:

- AT&T Fiber internet access via the AT&T Uverse modem/wifi router - everything connected to this is via wifi, nothing by cables

- WN2500RPv2 connected to the AT&T Uverse modem/wifi router by wifi

- Vonage Linksys RT31P2 router connected to the WN2500RPv2 by cat 5 cable

- ADT Pulse Gateway PGZNG1 connected to the WN2500RPv2 by cat 5 cable

3) Model numbers as noted in the topology description above.

As noted, this all worked perfectly well until a few weeks back when suddenly both the ADT Gateway and Vonage router lost their connection to the WN2500RPv2.  As we've now tested, I can connect my laptop to the WN2500RPv2 via the same cable as used by either the Vonage or the ADT devices and get internet access, and I can connect the Vonage router to the AT&T main router and it works well.

It's all rather maddening...I guess I could simply replace the WN2500RPv2, but I really want to find out what happened - why this has suddenly stopped working!

Thanks,

Nick

Message 5 of 9
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @NickSJ, 

I have checked with the team for further investigation. I'll provide an update as soon as possible. 

~Christian 

Message 6 of 9
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @NickSJ, 

A couple more questions: 

1. Are there any IP address conflicts? 

2. If you have the option, please set address reservation on the router

~Christian 

Message 7 of 9
NickJS
Aspirant

Hi Christian,

No IP address conflicts.

Don't see how I can do this on the router.

Cheers,

Nick

Message 8 of 9
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@NickJS - I have sent you a message. Please respond at your earliest convenience.

~Christian 

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7