× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WN3000RP dropping connection

Dash-
Aspirant

WN3000RP dropping connection

I have small issues (Until the wife's device fails).  The WN3000RPv2 will go along nicely for awhile, then internet gets slower, if I ping it, it starts dropping packet returns- 80%-90% in some cases. Then it will drop carrier totally. I have done a factory reset six times in the last two weeks.  And at this point, it will drop signal (Red light even on the extender, sometimes.) to a Dell laptop, a Kindle Fire tablet, a HP Laptop running Ubuntu 16.04. My phone also will drop carrier, the others in the family don't know (or care) if their devices are on phone system, or wifi, as the devices will change automatically.  I have tried to get it to connect with 5Gz, but it will not see the ATT gateway @ 5gz as this extender is not 5gz compatible.  I have replaced the gateway as standard issue from ATT, the extender is from ATT when the gateway was discovered to have a signal attenuation problem in the house. Currently, the WP3000 extender says it has 75-90% signal strength (compared to what, I don't know)  and I have it moved to the sofa in the living room.  The most stable (not 100% even, sometimes it will fail that, too) connection is through the ethernet cable.  At this point, what am I missing or any suggestions on settings?  I have changed channels multiple times, factory reset multiple times, changed as many things as I could. What else is there?  I am not helpless, but I do miss a few subtle things now and again. I have contacted ATT, they have directed me to Netgear. So a little suggestion would be helpful. Thanks. 

Model: WN3000RPv2|N300 WIFI Range Extender
Message 1 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Dash

Have you made sure its on the latest firmware? also you may want to move the extender to a different spot.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 6
Dash-
Aspirant

Yes, to both answers, currently it is within reach as I sit and type this. The current updates are all performed first to try to correct this, on the rule-out of old problems.  However, the problem continues across multiple devices and operating systems. 

Message 3 of 6
Dash-
Aspirant

ON a "PS"  I failed to note, if I am connected via ethernet Cat5 cable to the WN3000RP, the connection is good for that one device. 

Message 4 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

have you tried to use fastlane by making the extender only broadcast a 2.4ghz signal?

DarrenM

Message 5 of 6
Dash-
Aspirant

No, thank you, I will. 

Keep ya posted with the results.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos