× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WN3000RP range extender, DG934G router, strange behavior

TheShaggyDA
Aspirant

WN3000RP range extender, DG934G router, strange behavior

Greetings.

Just bought a WN3000RP to provide better WiFi coverage at the back of the house. The router is a Sky branded Netgear DG934G which we've had no problems with. Setup was straightforward, so we've now got two networks broadcasting - SSID and SSID_EXT (not the real names, just for clarification).

When using both networks at the same time (i.e. a device connected to and using SSID and another device connected to and using SSID_EXT) the router freezes and needs to be rebooted. If we only use one of the available networks (SSID or SSID_EXT, doesn't matter which) the connection is stable.

I've moved the channel number away from neighbour's networks, am using WPA-PSK, and even tried giving the WN3000RP a static IP address. Doesn't matter what device - laptop with Windows 7, laptop with Vista, iPad 2, iPhone 4S. About 30 seconds after a device starts using the other network, the router freezes.

Any clues?
Message 1 of 5
TheShaggyDA
Aspirant

Re: WN3000RP range extender, DG934G router, strange behavior

Just to add, Sky's official line is...
Sky does not recommend or support the use of non-supplied equipment such as wireless extenders or other routers, however the community may be able to provide assistance based on experience. We cannot assist with any issues that arise when using these set-ups.
Message 2 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

both are different SSID correct as confirmation.

About 30 seconds after a device starts using the other network, the router freezes.

this means it hops back to other SSID in your network correct and not others
Message 3 of 5
TheShaggyDA
Aspirant

The router is using SSID, the extender is SSID_EXT, as per setup. If I connect via the router wirelessly, all is well. If I connect another device via the router, all is well. If I then connect via the repeater, the router freezes. It happens the same way if I do it the other way around - connect via the repeater, AOK. Connect another device via the repeater, AOK. Connect via the router, router freezes. I can only connect all devices to the router, or all devices to the repeater - not a mixture of both.
Message 4 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Make sure each wireless profile in each pc has only one side of SSID
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements