× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What is the best solution for Wi-Fi Extender from the main home to a wooden shed?

moniela
Tutor

What is the best solution for Wi-Fi Extender from the main home to a wooden shed?

Hi,

I have a router sitting in the lounge of my house and a Netgear wifi booster extender AC1900 in my Kitchen. From the Kitchen I now need to extend the wifi signal to a garden wooden bulding approx 20 metres from the Kitchen extender - which is nearer to the garden bulding as opposed to the router in the lounge.

I believe that if I buy another AC1900 the range is too short to bounce the signal from the kitchen booster to the garden bulding new booster. Is there/What is the best Netgear outdoor bulding to bulding extender in this instance? What's the best set up?

I'm not a techi person so any suggestion with simple terminology is much appreciated.

Thank you for your assistance.

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: What is the best solution for Wi-Fi Extender from the main home to a wooden shed?

What actual extender do you have? 

reason I ask is daisy chaining extenders really drops throughput (speeds).

Standard single/dual band extenders have to use the same chip to go router-----extender and then extender----devices. 

this drops their throughput by 50% of what they recieve. so because of distance/obstruction/internference, their speeds are already decreased, and then they take the 50% hit because of how single/dual band extenders work. 

And another extender at the end of that, and it can have some really low speeds.

Plus higher latency. 

the triband extenders help prevent that as well as that's why the triband mesh systems work better. 

Can you do it? Sure. but they speeds might be really poor. 

Options if you're dedicated to doing it:

swap the current extender and the router. 

So you can try and setup in a star configuration and not daisy.

Star:  extender<-------router------>extender

Daisy: Router----->extender------>extender

Or you can upgrade to a triband mesh system. Its what we usually recommend for those needing more than 1 extender and needing to daisy chain. 

Message 2 of 6
moniela
Tutor

Re: What is the best solution for Wi-Fi Extender from the main home to a wooden shed?

Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply.

Currently I am using a Netgear AC1900 which is positioned in the kitchen but of course this isn’t enough to reach the garden shed which distance is approx 20 metres from the kitchen.

If I upgrade as you suggested, what would it be the best triband mesh system to go for? And should I plug that in directly in the shed or should it be plugged nearer to the router but the actual range will reach the garden shed?

Many thanks!
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

1. AC1900 is a speed. not a model. 

2. the shed is a challenge. 20 meters isn't that far of a distance. the problem is that the exterior of homes tends to block signals very well. this happens because they're made from materials that have components to them that block signal. things that block: foil lined insulation, metal siding, concrete, brick, concrete board, etc. Same with sheds. they tend to be made from metal and metal blocks wifi signals. 

the best thing for you to try is to get a short extension cord and connect the extender to it and prop the extender up in a window. (glass doesn't block wifi). Then go outside to the shed (both right outside it and inside it) and test if you can get a connection to the extender and test the actual speed you get (speedtest app). 

that'll tell you both if a extender/satellite could get a signal to the shed and if that signal will pass through into the shed. Its your best hope for testing before buying anything. If it can reach but not get into the shed because of the material its made from, then you might have to look at a different option like burying an underground ethernet wire. 

Message 4 of 6
moniela
Tutor

Model number EX6410-100UKS
what would it be a stronger extender that I could purchase.

I will try what you suggested but I think that a stronger ranger extender will be needed.

Thank you
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

there isn't really "stronger" wifi extenders. 

The broadcast strength is set by the governing body (fcc in the US). 

And its been maxed out for quite a while. 

so you aren't really going to get any extra range because there's isn't really a stronger one. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7