× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What would be a better solution? Getting the Nighthawk Routers or a Nighthawk Extender?

Dirlligaf
Follower

What would be a better solution? Getting the Nighthawk Routers or a Nighthawk Extender?

Hi All,

I have Verizon FiOs with 150/150 for speeds. My upstairs room is hit or miss with the WiFi signal, but I did get a Netgear Powerline adapter to turn my electrical outlet into a network band.

I then have a r6300v2 attached to the powerline and use that as a router for upstairs. My Xbox and computers and iPhones etc.. all conect to this router.

But I am not getting near the 150/150 speeds... only about 50/50. Verion said they only guarantee speeds that are hardwired, not wifi.

I am debating if getting a Nighthawk Router X8 would solve this issue or if I should get a Night Hawk X4 AC 2200 Range Extender? Obvously there is a price difference..

Do you recommend the $400ish router or will I be able to get the faster speeds on my R6300 if the $180ish extender can be an access point to the FiOS Wifi Router?

---

Regardless of if I get the router or the extender, is there a way to connect my R6300 to the Wifi sigal instead of the Powerline for better speeds? I tried to do it but got confused and settled with the powerline.

Thanks!!

Message 1 of 2
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: What would be a better solution? Getting the Nighthawk Routers or a Nighthawk Extender?

Hello Dirligaf

If you extend your network using wireless you are going to get slower speeds compared to running Ethernet or using powerline.  Did you set your R6300 to be a AP? also have you made sure you have the latest firmware on the router.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7