× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WiFi Extender EX7000 - Failed Update

dthedeejay
Aspirant

WiFi Extender EX7000 - Failed Update

Just did a firmware update using the web interface and extender not working anymore.

Cannot connect to extender with http://mywifiext

Tried holding factory reset button for more than 5 sec but not reseting.

Cannot see Netgear_EXT network.

The following lights are showing on the device: 2 green arrows are flashing, and both 2.4 and 5 GHz icons are solid amber.

Thanks for your help!

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
LuckyLimo
Guide

Re: WiFi Extender EX7000 - Failed Update

Ok, I found a fix that works. I just did it and all back to normal now. Follow this guide in the link below to upload a firmware file to it when it is bricked.
https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 12

All Replies
LuckyLimo
Guide

@dthedeejay wrote:

Just did a firmware update using the web interface and extender not working anymore.

Cannot connect to extender with http://mywifiext

Tried holding factory reset button for more than 5 sec but not reseting.

Cannot see Netgear_EXT network.

The following lights are showing on the device: 2 green arrows are flashing, and both 2.4 and 5 GHz icons are solid amber.

Thanks for your help!

I just did the same thing and have the exact same problem. (I think it said version 80 at the end of it.) Anyone else? Netgear, is there a fix?

Message 2 of 12
DisgruntledGoat
Aspirant

The same thing happened to me.

I've also tried connecting to the unit's IP directly via ethernet with no success. 

The update appears to have bricked the unit. 

Message 3 of 12
LuckyLimo
Guide

Ok, I found a fix that works. I just did it and all back to normal now. Follow this guide in the link below to upload a firmware file to it when it is bricked.
https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client
Message 4 of 12
LuckyLimo
Guide

Fyi... After I set the extender up again it asked me to update the firmware again. I said yes and this time it went through the update without a hitch and seems to be working fine.
Message 5 of 12
DisgruntledGoat
Aspirant

@LuckyLimo wrote:

Thank you for sharing your solution.  Unfortuately, I had no such luck.  When I tried checking the attached devices via my R7000's control panel, the EX7000 was no longer showing up on the list - and going through the steps with the default IP of 192.168.1.250 failed. 

A few seconds after clicking "put," the server interface would switch over to Software Loopback Interface 1. 

In 2015, I purchased a Netgear R7000, EX7000, and USB 3.0 wireless AC access point, and they all seemed to work well until January of this year, when I made the mistake of updating the R7000's firmware in effort to patch the recently publicized security holes.  It had been a nightmare of constant gateway errors up until this latest software update.  My EX7000 was still suffering from intermittent reliability issues, so I tried to update its firmware, too, in hopes of similar success - and this was the result. 

I was planning on upgrading my wireless neworking equipment in Q3, when it's expected that several manufacturers, including Netgear and TPLink, will release their WiFi AX mesh networking solutions.  It's fair to say that Netgear has a lot of work to do to regain my business.

Message 6 of 12
LuckyLimo
Guide

Fair enough, I noticed that you mentioned a default IP of 192.168.1.250, the default IP when it is bricked should be 192.168.1.1. Not sure if you made a typo or we're using the wrong default IP.
Message 7 of 12
dthedeejay
Aspirant

Thank you very much LuckyLimo!

This solution has also worked for me.

My Extender is now working with firmware 78 but I did not dare to update to 80 again...

Message 8 of 12
LuckyLimo
Guide

You're welcome, glad it worked for you.
Message 9 of 12
DisgruntledGoat
Aspirant

@LuckyLimo wrote:
Fair enough, I noticed that you mentioned a default IP of 192.168.1.250, the default IP when it is bricked should be 192.168.1.1. Not sure if you made a typo or we're using the wrong default IP.

Thank you for your reply.  The KB article you shared refers to Netgear routers and includes their default IP address.  

A related article specific to Netgear range extenders indicated a default IP of 192.168.1.250:

https://kb.netgear.com/29746/I-can-t-access-www-mywifiext-net-what-do-I-do

I tried both 192.168.1.250 and 192.168.1.1 using TFTP with no success.  I've waited several minutes for the firmware file to transfer and there's no indication of any progress.  I've attempted to use several different timings for clicking "put" (immediately after restarting the router, while the "netgear" logo is blinking, while the status lights are green instead of amber), and nothing has worked.  

If there's anything else you think I might be missing, please let me know.  Either way, thank you for your help and best of luck to everyone else in this frustrating predicament.  

Message 10 of 12
LuckyLimo
Guide

Ok, I am not sure about the .250 one but I know that .1 definitely worked on mine as the default IP. If the TFTP software is not showing any progress than it is definitely not communicating with the extender. What IP and subnet mask did you set statically on your computers network card when you were trying to TFTP into the extender?

Message 11 of 12
DisgruntledGoat
Aspirant

@LuckyLimo wrote:

Ok, I am not sure about the .250 one but I know that .1 definitely worked on mine as the default IP. If the TFTP software is not showing any progress than it is definitely not communicating with the extender. What IP and subnet mask did you set statically on your computers network card when you were trying to TFTP into the extender?

That was my suspicion as well, though I'd never used TFTP prior to my attempts - so I appreciate the confirmation there.  Thank you.

I used the settings included in the KB article:

1. IP address => 192.168.1.10
  2. Subnet mask => 255.255.255.0
  3. Default Gateway => 192.168.1.1

Windows 10's control panel only allowed me to specify the "subnet prefix length," not the subnet mask, so I followed the instructions in this article to change the IPv4 settings to those listed above before attempting the transfer: 

https://www.webnots.com/how-to-change-ip-address-in-windows-pc/

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7