× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WiFi extension to Arris modem-router with R7000

ahowell57
Follower

WiFi extension to Arris modem-router with R7000

I have little expertise in this stuff - but have an Arris TG3482G moden/router as part of my Xfinity internet setup. It weakly provides internet to remote parts of the house, including a Nest camera on the front porch. First, I would like to know if the Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router (Model R7000) that I purchased a year ago but haven't used, is capable of boosting the WiFi to the more remote areas of the house (it's really not a large house, but the Nest camera on the porch drops several times a day, and other areas have weak signal at times). Second, I would like to know how to set something like that up, including the significance of where the WiFi boost equipment is located. I looked at this a year ago and was told the Nighthawk could essentially 'replace' the Arris, but that I shouldn't have them both fully functional or there would be competing signals that might cause something really bad to happen.

I hope this makes a little sense - I'm fine with some back-and-forth if anyone can help but needs clarification on issues.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: WiFi extension to Arris modem-router with R7000

You have a couple options. 

1. you can put the R7000 in extender mode and just extend the signal via wireless. here's the instructions for that. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24108/How-do-I-enable-the-extender-mode-feature-on-my-Nighthawk-router

2. you can run the R7000 in access point mode and hardwire it into the current router. Tends to have the best performance. You just have to make sure to set the wireless channels on different channels so they don't interfere. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24104/How-do-I-change-my-Nighthawk-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-s...

3. Or you can disabled the router portion on the arris (put it in bridge mode) and just run the netgear in router mode. It basically turns the arris into a modem only device. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series