× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi extender extremely slow

Bitbat
Aspirant

Wifi extender extremely slow

It works fine in my sisters room giving me a normal connection with it disconnecting and reconnecting every 20 minutes which i suppose is to be expected of a wifi router.

The problem is my wifi coverage in my bedroom. Even before i had the extender the wifi simply refuses to work in my bedroom which is extremely unfair. The speed is unbearably slow when i connect to the wifi extender and doesn't even work when i play games forcing me to resort to offline games.

When i am connected on the extender the router and another light immediately turns red and ocasionally they turn yellow. My internet speed consists of about 10 mb/s upload and 8 mp/s download . My internet provider is Primus and a lot of people on reddit explain that primus is a crappy internet provider in Canada.

What do i do?

Model: EX6200|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: Wifi extender extremely slow

What speeds do you pay for?

What speeds do you get from the router over wifi and over a hardwired connection?

Placement of extenders is key.  If they're to far away, they don't have a good enough connection to the router to be a benefit. To close and its pointless to have an extender.  If you had poor wifi in your room, then placing the extender in your room isn't going to help as it'll have poor connection too. Try to put it in the middle between your room and the router. The led lights on the extender can help you with placment. The router link led is the key here. If its red, the connection back to the router is poor. Either its to far away, there's interference, or the connection is bad due to the materials your home is made of. Certain materials block wifi signal to an amazing extent. also hvac and other materials within walls can block wifi. Sometimes moving laterally can remove these obstructions. So try different locations to help find the best location.

what materials is you interior walls made of? 

How far from the router is the extender?

What model router is it? 

another thing to keep in mind with extenders is that by their very nature they are going to reduce speeds and increase latency. Reason why is they have to recieve and then re-transmit that signal they recieve. So unless you're using a fastlane setup, they already reduce the speed in half and add latency. If you're starting from a low speed already, this can be catastrophic to your speeds. Fastlane can help mitagate this. It uses one of the radio bands on the extender just for talking with the router. If you have low speed internet, I'd try using fastlane. 

so here's the order I'd start in.

1. optimize placement of the router. https://www.tomsguide.com/us/wifi-extender-setup-guide,review-4133.html

2. Optimize the extender. do this by making sure the firmware is up-to-date, making sure you're using the best available wifi channels (least congested).

3. Try out fastlane. 

Here's where you can get the manual, firmware, troubleshooting, and guides. This are very helpful. Let me know how it goes.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX6200.aspx

Message 2 of 9
Bitbat
Aspirant

It's a crappy smartsense router that is provided by my internet, primus. I had a forum on reddit and people said "primus is your problem." Since my download speed is 2.10 and 10.05 with 19 ms response time, usually the 5g disconnects and the 2g cuts it in half to make it even more sh**tter.

I think it's a problem with my internet provider since they chose the slowest speeds possible for me. Cogeco is doing some work in my area and promised fibre optic, we're switching later this year.

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

@Bitbat wrote:

It's a crappy smartsense router that is provided by my internet, primus. I had a forum on reddit and people said "primus is your problem." Since my download speed is 2.10 and 10.05 with 19 ms response time, usually the 5g disconnects and the 2g cuts it in half to make it even more sh**tter.

I think it's a problem with my internet provider since they chose the slowest speeds possible for me. Cogeco is doing some work in my area and promised fibre optic, we're switching later this year.

ouch, those are some bad speeds. 

What speed to you get hardwired into your router? 

If you're hardwired speeds are decent, the EX6200 has AP mode and might have better wireless capabilities than your current router. You could run it in ap mode with it hardwired in and potentially get better coverage/signal 

Message 4 of 9
Bitbat
Aspirant

I can't hardwire my laptop in since i don't have an internet connection. Ping usually goes to 80ms in arsenal and then 500 if i'm somewhere farther in the house. I also notice the extender getting very hot.

Message 5 of 9
Bitbat
Aspirant

I placed it near my room. Ideal placement is not an option

Message 6 of 9
Bitbat
Aspirant

If this helps, here's a internet test.

My Internet from my room 

Here is an internet test in a game:

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

again, a lot depends on your router. Can you move the router for testing purposes and test the gaming with using that? 

like I said, the extender is going to halve speeds and increase latency. if the router's already not doing a great job, its only going to get worse with adding an extender. 

Message 8 of 9
Bitbat
Aspirant

I told you. i can't move the router because then it would mess up everything. 

I might as well just return it, right?

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7