× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi range extender won't accept router password

Mike001
Guide

Wifi range extender won't accept router password

When the _ext appears on my imac wireless options and I click to connect it does not accept the router password, if I dont get an answer soon I will take it back and get a refund!

Message 1 of 32
DickDuke
Apprentice

Each device has its own password. You need to configure them before they will work together. Follow the directions step by step, and it will probably work. You'll also most likely find the configuration login for your extender in tiny print on the back or bottom of the unit.

Search for the solution to specific problems by using your device model numbers.

Message 2 of 32
Mike001
Guide

Many thanks **bleep**, I have found them but not tried yet, will post an update when I have.....Mike

Message 3 of 32
StephenB
Guru

What extender model do you have?

Message 4 of 32
Mike001
Guide

It is (from the box label) EX2700-100UKS and thankyou for helping

Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 5 of 32
StephenB
Guru

The full user manual is here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX2700/EX2700_UM_EN.pdf

If you pressed the WPS button during setup, then the extender should be using the same WiFi password as your main router.  If you haven't tried that password, then start there.

If that isn't working, then try resetting the extender again, and this time don't press WPS.  You should be able to connect to the NETGEAR_EXT wifi network.  Then browse to www.mywifiext.net, and complete the setup process manually.  That's described on page 10 of the user manual above ( Connect With Web Browser Setup )

Message 6 of 32
Mike001
Guide

I am getting so tired trying to get this device to work. I have just had someone from India (it sounds like) wanting to get access to my computer to sort it out and I declined to do so. 

Message 7 of 32
StephenB
Guru

Did you use my.netgear.com to access support?

It's a bad idea to google support numbers, there are sites out there that claim to be netgear support but aren't.

Message 8 of 32
Mike001
Guide

I thought it was Netgear but the lady was definately from India I think. I have since rebooted the extender as advised and my wireless network now shows Netgear_ext but I cannot establish a connection to the internet and now I am tired and must get something to eat.........Mike

Message 9 of 32
Mike001
Guide

My Imac wireless settings now identify the netgear_ext as a network and seems to connect but has no internet connection and shows different IP addresses for router and extender

Message 10 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@Mike001 wrote:

My Imac wireless settings now identify the netgear_ext as a network and seems to connect but has no internet connection and shows different IP addresses for router and extender

Yes.  But you should be able to browse to www.mywifiext.net - that takes you to the web ui of the extender, not the internet.  

Message 11 of 32
DickDuke
Apprentice

@Mike001 wrote:

Every device MUST have a different IP address. You may eventually want the same WiFi SID (name) but you never want to assign the same IP number to more than one device.

It’s normal that you can’t access the Internet from the extender at first. You need to configure the extender to connect to your router first. Only after the extender is set up to extend your existing WiFi network, will it connect to the Internet.

Message 12 of 32
Mike001
Guide

Ok, its all very well saying you can't connect at first but I would rather like it to connect whilst i am stll alive!

Message 13 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@Mike001

As I've said before, you first connect to NETGEAR_EXT and then browse to www.mywifiext.net.  That gets you into the setup process where you link the extender to your router's wifi.

What happens when you do that?  Are you

1. not able to connect to NETGEAR_EXT?
  2. not able to browse to www.mywifiext.net?
  3. something else???

Message 14 of 32
schumaku
Guru

@Mike001 wrote:

My Imac wireless settings now identify the netgear_ext as a network and seems to connect ... shows different IP addresses for router and extender

This is because of your iMAC does get a different (virtual) MAC address when connected through the extender - that's how the Netgear wireless extenders are implemented, the community can't change that.

@Mike001 wrote:

... but has no internet connection ...

Anything on your router prohibiting the Internet access for the other IP address?
Any default security like "do-not-allow-unknown-device-Internet-access" in place?

Message 15 of 32
Mike001
Guide

No, I cannot connect to the internet when trying to connect the extender.............so I cannot log on using the extender

Message 16 of 32
Mike001
Guide

My router is a very simple device and I have never tried to connect to it other that use it for internet access

Message 17 of 32
DickDuke
Apprentice

From

https://kb.netgear.com/25533/How-to-install-the-EX2700-via-WPS

The EX2700 has a WPS feature which easily connects to devices that also have WPS capability. This article will show the step-by-step procedure on how to install the EX2700 – N300 Wireless Range Extender using the WPS button.

To install the EX2700 via WPS:

1. Place the extender in the same room as the Wi-Fi Router.
  2. Make sure you have a live internet connection coming from the main router. Also, make sure that the router is WPS capable.

Note: WPS does not support WEP Security. Change the security of your main router to WPA2-PSK(AES) for optimal performance.

3. Plug the extender into an electrical outlet and wait for the Power LED   to become stable. If it does not turn ON, press the On/Off button on the side panel of the extender.
  4. Press the WPS button for about 2 seconds on the side panel of the extender. The WPS LED   blinks.
  5. Within 2 minutes, press the WPS button on your main router.
  6. The WPS LED   on the Extender should turn to solid green and the Router Link LED  should also turn solid green to show that your EXT is connected to your main network. 
  7. Move the extender to your preferred location but make sure it is in between the router and the wireless devices to aquire a good signal. See What is the best position to place my EX2700 in my current network setup?
  8. You can now connect your wireless devices to the Extender’s new SSID. The extender’s wireless network name (SSID) changed to your existing WiFi network name with “_EXT” at the end.
    The password to be used will be the same Wi-Fi password on your main router.

Example:

• Existing WiFi Network name (SSID): MyHomeNetwork
    • New Extender WiFi Network name (SSID): MyHomeNetwork_EXT

Note: If your wireless devices has a WPS feature; press the WPS button on the EXT and within 2 minutes, press the WPS button on your wireless device to instantly connect them without typing the wireless password.

Message 18 of 32
DickDuke
Apprentice
schumaku
Guru

Assuming your primary wireless is not named netgear and/or you have not fixed the extender to serve as netgear_ext (the extenders default to the primary wireless name + _ext) it might indicate that it has indeed not connected to the router yet. 

Hard to figure out why - permitting you have used the wireless security key (not the router administration password) to associate the extender.

Last, your router isn't one of these very simple ones allowing either 5 GHz or 2.4 GHz and it's configured for 5 GHz while the simple extender does support 2.4 GHz only? Or the router is that old that it does still use WEP keys (instead of WPA-TKIP and WPA2-AES)?

Message 20 of 32
Mike001
Guide

I am very grateful to all who have tried to help me with my problem (rather Netgear problem I think) and I feel that a solution will be forthcoming but for now I will give it a rest and try again tomorrow, Thanks again everyone..............Mike

Message 21 of 32
Mike001
Guide

I have just tried again to connect my extender to the router which seems to work but it still will not accept the main router wireless key and returns 'invalid password' message

Message 22 of 32
Mike001
Guide

I have just contacted my broadband provider and they confirm the router extender is connected to my router but still when I enter the password it comes back with 'invalid password'

Message 23 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@Mike001, you aren't giving us enough information to help you.  About all we can tell is that something isn't working.

It would be helpful to know the wifi security mode your router is using.  As @schumaku says, you shouldn't be using WEP.  Perhaps post the security mode here.

I can't tell if you only pressed WPS during the setup procedure, or if you tried the setup procedure without pressing WPS.

If you don't press WPS, you should be able to connect to the extender's wifi with no password.  Then you can browse to www.mywifiext.net even though the extender isn't connected to the internet.  That's because www.mywifiext.net is special - it's not on the internet, it's actually the web ui of the extender itself.

Can you please try to follow the non-WPS procedure, and be a bit more precise on where (and how) it fails?

Message 24 of 32
DickDuke
Apprentice

@Mike001, Can you tell us the make and model of your router? Also where the router is, and where the extender will be located within your home?

If your router is older, and your home is not huge, you might find it simpler to return the extender, and replace your router instead. The newer routers cover a lot more area than the older ones used to. Depending on your available budget, a Netgear Nighthawk router (even a slightly older model like the AC1900) will easily cover a small house or two bedroom apartment. If you have a bit more money to spend, any of the new Netgear Orbi models will give you great coverage if you buy the model designed for your home size.

Message 25 of 32
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7