× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

extending internet connection via wired ethernet cable

RUBENSOLO
Aspirant

extending internet connection via wired ethernet cable

Hello,

FIrst time poster. I have a netgear R8000 Nighthawk on my 2nd floor. I am planning to use an ethernet cable connected to the R8000 and take it downstairs to my living room. My question is, is it possible to be able to connect the ethernet cable in the living room to another router and then connect up to 3 devices (computer, smart tv, apple tv) via ethernet cables? I would prefer wired connections. I am aware that I can use a router like the netgear EX7000 as an access point but other devices can only be connected wirelessly.

Any help would be appreciated

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
RUBENSOLO
Aspirant

Re: extending internet connection via wired ethernet cable

Thank you very much!

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Technically, an EX7000 is not a router (it lacks firewall, NAT, DHCP server and routing).  

An EX7000 can support both wired and wireless devices.  You would need to set it up as an Access Point.  See page 18 in the manual (link).

If you don't need wireless support, then you can simply install an Ethernet switch in the living room.  Connect your 3 devices to it, then connect the switch to the R8000.

Message 2 of 8
RUBENSOLO
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I read page 18 and my understanding is that as an access point it wouldn't allow me to connect to other devices using a wired connection just wirelessly 

Note: In access point mode, you can connect your computer or WiFi device to the extender only using a WiFi connection.

Not sure if my internet provider be able to install an Ethernet switch for me. Would it require just a single connection from the main router downstairs? Could the Ethernet switch be use to connect multiple devices?

thanks

Message 3 of 8
TheEther
Guru

I never noticed that restriction.  I'm quite surprised that it exists.  That makes the EX7000 less flexible.  A shame.

You should not need any help from your Internet provider.  You can get any Gigabit Ethernet switch (e.g. Netgear's GS205v2).  Like I said before, you can plug all of your devices in the living room into it.  You only need a single connection from the switch back to the main router.

Message 4 of 8
RUBENSOLO
Aspirant

That's perfect and a cheaper solution than buying the EX7000. Is there a significant difference between the FS and GS range?

Is there also a possible drop in performance when using an ethernet switch? 

thanks

Message 5 of 8
TheEther
Guru

The FS only has Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps) ports.  Get the GS.

Any performance drop caused by an Ethernet switch should be negligible.

Message 6 of 8
RUBENSOLO
Aspirant

Thank you very much!

Message 7 of 8
RUBENSOLO
Aspirant

Hi,
Just as an update. I manage to set up the EX7000 and the documentation was not correct. I can use the Ethernet ports on the EX7000 while on Access Point mode. Netgear Support also confirm this and mentioned that the documentation was not very clear. The EX7000 has improved wireless connection significantly but for my main use (wired connection) no more drop in performance when watching 4K content or downloading updates or games on my ps4.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7