× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

how to reserve ip address for connected device?

ecmichel
Aspirant

how to reserve ip address for connected device?

My WN3500RP is extending a Netgear WNDR4300 router. The router can reserve ip addresses for connected devices. But I can't figure out how to reserve ip addresses for devices connected to the WN3500RP extender. Devices connected to the WN3500RP show up as "attached devices" in the router's configuration interface. Even after I add these devices to the list of devices under "address reservation" (in the router setup), their addresses keep changing. How can I maintain a constant ip address for a device attached to the WN3500RP? Thanks!
Message 1 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: how to reserve ip address for connected device?

Only main router has DHCP on?
Message 2 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Did you power cycle he router after adding under address reservation?

Also yes without extender if those devices get correct ip when connected to 3400
Message 3 of 11
ecmichel
Aspirant

The WN3500RP doesn't have a DHCP option. DHCP is controlled by the router. I did power cycle the router after reserving the ip address. At first the ip address of the device connected to the WN3500RP held, but after a while it changed..... So, I modified the "address reservation settings" again to reflect the new ip address, and it has held so far for a few hours. I hope it continues to hold!
Message 4 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Yup.. People usually forget power cycle the unit

Enjoy!
Message 5 of 11
ecmichel
Aspirant

The problem is back with a vengeance. One of my devices is constantly jumping IP addresses even when I reserve an address in the router configuration and reboot both the router and the device..... But it's only this one device. And the weird thing is that I have two of the exact same devices, and it's only the one that moves around between IP addresses....
Message 6 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Use static IP on device itself
Message 7 of 11
Cdd
Aspirant
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
Use static IP on device itself

That is a "working" but "lame" solution. The problem is a bug in the WR3500RP source. It's asking the router for the DHCP range, and then find's a free spot, totally disregarding the "reserved network addresses" from the router.

../sigh

Tested it here too, with a laptop reserved to fixed IP over cable. (wifi is same). Plugged into the wn3500rp it will get a NEW ip. Bug!

Cheers
Message 8 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

If you think it's an BUG then contact support via portal at my.netgear.com
Message 9 of 11
bradiko
Initiate

I have seen the same problem when working through an extender. The extender doesn't pass the reserved IP to the device. Whenever connecting through the extender you are not guaranteed the IP you reserved in the router (un-extended). When connecting directly to the router the DHCP does produce the correct IP for the device. Also look for a fix.
Message 10 of 11
bradiko
Initiate

SOLVED! According to the documentation the extender provides a new translated MAC address that now begins with 02:0F:B5 but may have the same ending. It can therefore not understand that the directly connected MAC (which is different) conforms to the same device as the indirectly connected one (due to the fact that they have different MAC addresses).

The work around is to put both MAC addresses in your reservation table. You will unfortunately have to give them different IPs (I was not able to assign the same IP to two different MACs even though they would never occur simulaneously). In this way, you will end up with two IPs for the same device, but this is better than an unpredictable IP.

One advantage is that you can now give different services/port preferences to that device (e.g. in your connected server) to the same device depending upon which way it is connecting.

I hope that was helpful,

Bradiko
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7