× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: using WN3000RPv3 to extend iphone personal hotspot

securigroup
Aspirant

using WN3000RPv3 to extend iphone personal hotspot

hi guys, hoping you can help; I have a WN300RPv3 wifi range extender. What i am trying to do is connect the extender to my iphones personal hotspot so i can then connect a device via the patch lead out the bottom of the extender - in other words use the device to give a hardwired unit the internet from my phone. When i try to set the unit up i cant find the phones personal hotspot - am i doing something wrong? thanks for any help

Model: WN3000RPv3|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Is the hotspot creating a 2.4 ghz wifi network, or 5 ghz?

The WN3000RPv3 is limited to 2.4 ghz.

Message 2 of 12
securigroup
Aspirant

Hi thanks for your reply. A quick search of the internet shows an iPhone as being 2.4ghz but not entirely sure
Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Perhaps also leave the personal hotspot screen up on the phone while you connect the extender to the hotspot network.

Message 4 of 12
securigroup
Aspirant

I tried that bud
Message 5 of 12
Sparra
Aspirant

Hi OP,

Did you ever resolve this please. I am wanting do exctly the same thing, or via Windows10 hotspot (which is connected through my iPhone hotspot)

Cheers,

Sparra

Message 6 of 12
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @Sparra,

If your hotspot has a WPS button you should be able to connect that way if not you will need to connect to the extender and go to www.mywifiext.net then do the setup and connect to the aircards wireless network.

~Christian

Message 7 of 12
pub1809
Aspirant

I did not see an anwer to this so here we go ...

After trying to set-up a WiFi extender for my iPhone 5 it appears Apple does not use the standard ascii character set for the SSID they brodcast. This causes some extenders not to see the correct SSID during set-up. When they rebroadcast the SSID as an extender the phone will not connect to it.

I have tried four manufactures models (TP-Link , D-Link,Netgear and Linksys).

The only on that worked was the Linksys RE6400. Hopes this helps and saves someone the pain I went through.

Message 8 of 12
Sparra
Aspirant

Hi pub1809,

Did you try connecting a Windows10 PC to the iPhone hotspot and then connect the extender to the PC?

Sparra

Message 9 of 12
pub1809
Aspirant

I was successful connecting a PC with Windows 10 OS using a Ralink and Linksys AE6000 USB wireless adapter to the extender which was connected to the iPhone 5 with the cell phone data and mobile hotspot enabled giving the PC access to the internet. The speeds could not be tested accurately because I am in the country with poor cell phone service. My cell phone provider assures me they will be enabling a block of LTE towers. This exercise was preparation for cell phone service enhancements.

FYI .... also worked on XP with the Linksys AE6000 USB adapter but not the XP,Ralink combination. I have not tried the eithernet port on the extender.

Message 10 of 12
Rhythmreactor
Aspirant

Hi, maybe it has become easier to connect devices to iPhone hotspots in August of 2019. I connect my PC through an iPhone hotspot using the lightning cable (USB). It is fast & sturdy and than on from the PC you can setup a (private) LAN network or a wireless network if you like. It needs (LAN) only a connected Router (PC LAN). These routers are cheap now to obtain. In Windows 10 it is possible to pause all syncing in the background because you use a SIM (metered connection). Your data (rate) usage will be considerebly lower.  Expect speeds up to 30+Mbps. That seems sufficient even using Netflix in HD. I never use more then 2.5GB on a daily basis wich is within the 5GB daily standard limit of a unlimited 4G account. You do the math?

Message 11 of 12
Mikeb24018
Aspirant

Iphones can't have cell data and wifi on at the same time. You must set up your iphone as a hotspot using cell data. Use another device to set up the range extender that can have the wifi turned on, like an ipad, or another iphone. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7