× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNR1000 v3 N150 Wireless Router not working for Windows 10

Ericomccabe
Aspirant

WNR1000 v3 N150 Wireless Router not working for Windows 10

I recently upgraded my computer to Windows 10 and it no longer connects to my WNR100 v3 wireless router. The computer connects to other wireless networks without issue and the wired connection with the router continues to work as well, so it seems the issue is specific to my Windows 10 computer and the router. Any thoughts on how I can resolve this? 

Thank you,

Eric

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Ericomccabe
Aspirant

Re: WNR1000 v3 N150 Wireless Router not working for Windows 10

Good News, Everyone!

The issue is resolved. I did a hard reset of the router, the modem, and the computer. I'm not sure exactly which one made the difference, but in any event, the wireless works now. Thank you for all of your troubleshooting suggestions, I really appreciated the help 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It is far more likely that the wireless device in the computer needs to have its driver updated than there being an issue with the router, which doesn’t really differentiate between operating systems of connected client devices.

Message 2 of 10
Ericomccabe
Aspirant

Thanks for the idea Andy. I got on the phone with MSI, the maker of my laptop, and they walked me through un-installing and re-intalling the latest, Windows10 compatible wireless driver, to make sure the driver was up to date. Unfortunately I still can't connect to my WNR1000 v3 N150 router, though other wireless networks are connecting without issue. Is there any setting that might be preventing me from connecting to the WNR1000 v3 N150? Any other thoughts?

Thank you,

Eric

Message 3 of 10
TheEther
Guru

If you click on the Wi-Fi icon in the Windows Notification bar, do you see your network at all?

If you can see your Wi-Fi network, then you can try re-entering the password.  Click on Network Settings, then Manage Wi-Fi Settings. Then scroll to the bottom.  If you see your network, then click on it, then Forget. Then proceed to connect to the Wi-Fi network.  Enter your password. Hopefully, it will work. 

Message 4 of 10
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is it a complete failure to connect? Does the computer connect but have limited connectivity?

You could try temporarily setting the router WiFi encryption to ‘none’ and see if the computer then connects, just to see if there’s an encryption or passphrase problem. If it does connect then return the encryption setting to normal but set a simple passphrase e.g. 1234abcd

Message 5 of 10
Ericomccabe
Aspirant

Thanks for the idea, TheEther. I located the network and "forgot it". I then tried reconnecting. Unfortunately still no luck 😞

Hi Andy - it's a complete failure to connect. The specific message that displays is "Can't connect to this network". Good idea on the encryption - I removed it but was still unable to connect. 

Some other things I tried just now: changing the wireless channel, turning on a guest network and trying to connect to it, rebooting everything (router, modem, computer), and checking the router firmware to confirm it's the latest option. None of these did the trick.

I have another laptop (HP) which is also Windows10 that is connecting to the Netgear wireless with no problem. This makes me think the problem is with my new MSI laptop. However my MSI laptop is connecting to other wireless networks with no problem, which makes me think the issue lies with the router...in short I am still stumped.

I appreciate any other thoughts you guys can share!

Message 6 of 10
TheEther
Guru

@Ericomccabe

Do you, by any chance, have Access Control enabled?  If so, you need to add an entry for your laptop's Wi-Fi MAC address.  Better yet, disable Access Control.  It's trivially simple to bypass by any hacker.

Message 7 of 10
Ericomccabe
Aspirant

@TheEther  - Good thought. I just went in and saw that it was already disabled. I enabled it just to check if that would do anything but it did not. Even after adding my MAC address as a permitted address, it was not able to connect. I disabled it again before leaving the tool

Message 8 of 10
Ericomccabe
Aspirant

Good News, Everyone!

The issue is resolved. I did a hard reset of the router, the modem, and the computer. I'm not sure exactly which one made the difference, but in any event, the wireless works now. Thank you for all of your troubleshooting suggestions, I really appreciated the help 

Message 9 of 10
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well it’s great that it’s fixed, and while I’m intrigued as to what the issue was, hopefully it will not return.

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7