× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

can't connect new HP laptop with Windows 10 to router N600

jkkonecny
Initiate

can't connect new HP laptop with Windows 10 to router N600

I just received a new HP laptop with Windows 10 and can't connect to the internet with my N600 router.  It keeps saying "can't connect to this network."  I have no problem connecting to the Guest network (which is open, not secured) and have no problems with my brand new Macbook or older HP laptop with Windows 7.  I have installed the new firmware V1.0.1.4_1.0.52.  I powered off the router and turned back on and still can't connect.  I think it must be a setting.  I have WEP security because of the Mac computer.  Is that the problem?  Any help would be much appreciated.  TIA!

Model: WNDR3400v3|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
jkkonecny
Initiate

Re: can't connect new HP laptop with Windows 10 to router N600

I solved the problem. I found a blog explaining the different security choices, so I changed my security to WPA-AES, and víola, everything works now!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
jackville
Aspirant

Tried google your problem, it's so complicated, might be your software problem, router setting, driver outdated, etc. Here are some answers might helpCat Wink, http://superuser.com/questions/1003835/windows-10-wifi-issue-cant-connect-to-this-network

Message 2 of 7
jkkonecny
Initiate

I solved the problem. I found a blog explaining the different security choices, so I changed my security to WPA-AES, and víola, everything works now!
Message 3 of 7
Tann
Aspirant

Could you explain please how to change the security. Thank you.
Message 4 of 7
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Tann,

If you are looking to change the security setting for the Wi-Fi of your router, you may check the link below for the steps.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24096

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 5 of 7
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Tann,

I would like to check if the link provided was able to resolve your concern.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 6 of 7
VE6CGX
Master

Tried to upgrade security protocol to WPA2-AES which is better?  Also how about creating a home group if you have more devices on the network.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7