× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

genie will not accept WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]

geoffstreeter
Aspirant

genie will not accept WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]

Firmware Version
V1.0.0.52_1.0.81

Can set the radio button but when I press "apply" I can see the button change back to WPA2-PSK [AES]. This is giving my Motog+ problems. This has Android v6.  Everything else works. I think the Motog+ will only do TKIP - not certain about that.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
geoffstreeter
Aspirant

Re: genie will not accept WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]

Yes that worked. I have been at the Greenbelt Festival all weekend - sorry. I tried it today after I got back.

I restored it from scratch - everything entered by hand.The thing I did not restore was that I was serving up a reserved IP from the router to the phone. I can't actually see that making a difference.

One thing I noticed was that the router went out on the web to register me. However the screen that comes up to do that placed the REGISTER button off screen at the bottom. I did it again but with a reduced "minimum font size" from 16 to 12 - ancient eyes. That did not get the whole thing on screen but it did get the button on screen.

At least it layed the blame on the router rather than the phone.

Thank you for the support.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
geoffstreeter
Aspirant

The article "Cannot set WPA2-PSK(AES) security" seemed to answer most of this. In order to change the setting you have to go via the "None" option, apply it and then choose the option you want and apply that.

Didn't solve the issue of connecting my MotoG+ though.

Message 2 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The setting you want requires you to lower the mode to 54. Since you omitted most of the useful information one could only guess.

Message 3 of 10
geoffstreeter
Aspirant

Sorry, this was about the UI provided by Genie to get at firmware settings. What is mode 54? How am I supposed to set it? The UI is not the place to do that.

What I am really trying to do is to get my MotoG to connect - it does elsewhere. Whilst trying to explore that issue I noticed this odd effect and thought it might be part of the problem.

Of course if there is a more sophisticated access to the firmware that will give me some debugging assistance then I would love some pointers to that.

What details did I omit? I gave model, firmware reference and a description of what I was seeing? What else would you like that Genie can provide?

Message 4 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Router model?

2.4 or 5g?

mode is a speed setting ....up to 54...up to 300...up to

What channel?

Message 5 of 10
geoffstreeter
Aspirant

Sorry I thought I had stated WNDR3400v2 it must have got lost.  2.4GHz. although I have 5GHz and that doesn't connect either. The menus are the same and behave in a similar manner.

Message 6 of 10
geoffstreeter
Aspirant

Both 2.4 and 5 are set for "up to 54Mbps. Channel Auto for the 2.4. 44 for the 5. 

Message 7 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Will you be able to select any other wireless security?

If not, try to reflash the firmware of the router then factory reset it afterwards.

Once done, reconfigure the router and see if that will help you connect your MotoG.

Message 8 of 10
geoffstreeter
Aspirant

Yes that worked. I have been at the Greenbelt Festival all weekend - sorry. I tried it today after I got back.

I restored it from scratch - everything entered by hand.The thing I did not restore was that I was serving up a reserved IP from the router to the phone. I can't actually see that making a difference.

One thing I noticed was that the router went out on the web to register me. However the screen that comes up to do that placed the REGISTER button off screen at the bottom. I did it again but with a reduced "minimum font size" from 16 to 12 - ancient eyes. That did not get the whole thing on screen but it did get the button on screen.

At least it layed the blame on the router rather than the phone.

Thank you for the support.

Message 9 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@geoffstreeter You're welcome! Feel free to let us know if you need further help.

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7